Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close NFL Extra

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close NFL Extra

Hey All,

Planning to app for discover beginning next year. I closed my only credit card and added 5 new cards this year.
Here is what I currently have:
Credit union -5k
Chase freedom -2500
Chase freedom unlimited -4k
Boa cash rewards -6700
Nfl extra- $750

So, I don't really use it. I wanted it for the extra 20% off nfl shop. At Christmas, I can see use of it, but I guess I'm not using like I thought I would, and the limit is pretty low. I just put netflix on it now. So I don't see any clis coming. Not worth the hard pull at this point either. I got the card in feb. I've read that it shouldn't affect my credit to close. I've also read that discover sometimes starts with low limits. Is this low limit affecting my potential cli's and sl's? Is it time to let it go? I made the wrong decision I think, when I went for it. Would it be good just to hang onto it longer, or cut it before apping for discover in jan?
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Close NFL Extra

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey All,

Planning to app for discover beginning next year. I closed my only credit card and added 5 new cards this year.
Here is what I currently have:
Credit union -5k
Chase freedom -2500
Chase freedom unlimited -4k
Boa cash rewards -6700
Nfl extra- $750

So, I don't really use it. I wanted it for the extra 20% off nfl shop. At Christmas, I can see use of it, but I guess I'm not using like I thought I would, and the limit is pretty low. I just put netflix on it now. So I don't see any clis coming. Not worth the hard pull at this point either. I got the card in feb. I've read that it shouldn't affect my credit to close. I've also read that discover sometimes starts with low limits. Is this low limit affecting my potential cli's and sl's? Is it time to let it go? I made the wrong decision I think, when I went for it. Would it be good just to hang onto it longer, or cut it before apping for discover in jan?

Barclays is pretty good about 6 month auto CLI's so if you like the card you might want to consider hanging on to it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm about to have my 8th statement cut. Past 6 month luv. Not surpised, since I'm just putting netflix on it for the last 4 months. First 2 didn't spend anything, then spent 500 and paid it off immediately. Got the new customer bonus. I don't think we're meant for each other.

So is there any reason to hang on for my credit profile, or would it be better when applying for discover to not have such a low limit? My terms say I have to have activity on the card. 6 statements with no activity and they close it. That probably would have been done already if I didn't keep netflix going to it.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never gotten an auto CLI on either of my Barclays cards. I was able to do the APR/CLI deal on my Sallie Mae. The rewards on the NFL card are blah, but I do love the 1% fee 0% APR checks. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They've sent me bt checks a lot too. But so has chase. I've never used them though.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried the apr reduction method. No cli, no apr reduction. I think about putting more spend through to get a cli, but then I think of all the great cash back rewards I'd be missing out on with my other cards.

From what I understand, closing shouldn't affect score, right? And since it's such a low limit, it's not taking much from my available credit.

When apping for new cards, would such a small limit have a negative affect on a new starting limit?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.