Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close One First before Opening Another?

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Close One First before Opening Another?

So within the next few weeks, my Bank of America card is going to have the $59 fee come into effect. I've delayed closing this card simply because I procrastinate.

But, now is the time... Here's my question though...

I want to apply for a CSP at a branch right next door to me, should I wait on closing the card before I apply for the CSP? Or does it not matter?

My utilization is currently at 0, or very close to it, if Chase pulls me this weekend when I go.

I'm not sure if it would really matter to be honest, but I've been "away" from the forums long enough to not really know if its advisable to close one and then open another right away.

Also, does anyone happen to know if I can get the CSP sent to the branch I apply at instead of sending it to my apartment?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Close One First before Opening Another?

Its actually better to apply with that open account to show the positive history and credit line established with the card. Utility wont be the issue, since you seem to have little to no revolving debt! Keeping it open until you score the other card will only help you
Message 2 of 7
Dustink
Valued Contributor

It won't matter in your case. If you closed it now, your report would likely not update the closed account.

Generally, it is good to keep the old account open just incase you get denied for the new card. I am assuming in your case it's probably not a problem.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 7
rustystick
New Contributor

cant you product change it to something w/o fee and keep it for positive trend line?

CSP 10k 0 Discover It 7.8k AmazonVisa 3k Freedom 1500 US Bank Cash Rewards 1500 BofA123 3300 SallieMae 3800
Message 4 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@rustystick wrote:

cant you product change it to something w/o fee and keep it for positive trend line?

It will remain a positive TL for 10 years anyway

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

So within the next few weeks, my Bank of America card is going to have the $59 fee come into effect. I've delayed closing this card simply because I procrastinate.

But, now is the time... Here's my question though...

I want to apply for a CSP at a branch right next door to me, should I wait on closing the card before I apply for the CSP? Or does it not matter?

My utilization is currently at 0, or very close to it, if Chase pulls me this weekend when I go.

I'm not sure if it would really matter to be honest, but I've been "away" from the forums long enough to not really know if its advisable to close one and then open another right away.

Also, does anyone happen to know if I can get the CSP sent to the branch I apply at instead of sending it to my apartment?

I wouldn't close it if your going to app for CSP now. Get the card then close the BofA.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

I'll do that then.

And to the person who asked if I could just PC... I did... BoA has a particular set of rules. If you had a card that had a fee and you try to PC to a card that doesn't... guess what, you're old charges apply. So I kept that card for a year while I was carrying a balance, but now, I don't need it. I effectively paid $59 for one year of having a 16K card. I used it once. It is of no use to me anymore. I had called again to ask, and yep, sure enough, they don't want to waive the fee, nor do I feel like calling every year to have it waived. I'm better off without it. My BCE more than makes up for it.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.