Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Target Account???

tag
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Close Target Account???

Just wondering what you credit guru's would suggest.  I closed my CreditOne account to day.  I had a perfect payment history and it was my 4th oldest revolving account but with only a $650 CL.  All of my other accounts started with CL's between $300-$600.  I haven't even had my Walmart and Barclay's 6 months and they raised me to $2000 and $2,500 respectively.  My Barclay's bumped me from $600 to $1,430 just last month.  I called today and got them to go to $2,500.  As a side note, I also called PayPal SC today and they raised me from $2,400 to $5k.  Anyway, in my opinion, I don't need CreditOne anymore so...soooo long.  I am trying to decide whether to do the same with Target.  I have a $200 CL...really!  They are my newest revolver.  I just got $3,670 in CLI's today so they're not going to hurt my utilization which was already less than 2%.  Just wanted to find out if dumping them was a good idea.  The only other store cards I have are Kohl's and Walmart.  Just tried of seeing that low CL every time I look at my report.  Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Close Target Account???

Keep it open it has no AF, who knows perhaps in 6 months TD bank may get around to giving out CLI's or at least a love button on there site. Most Prime banks ignore store card CL's when they are calculating your starting CL on there cards so probably no harm in keeping it and letting it age. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 15
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

I had read here that any account with a low CL could possibly affect the CL with the new creditor.  That's incorrect?  One of the many reasons I dropped CreditOne was the CL.  I am holding out for a prime and want to do everything possible to give myself the best shot.

Message 3 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Most prime lenders ignore store card CL's when they make that calculation... Why penalize people because they have a $200 store card, no one is going to give out a $10k limit on a gas card, So they just dismiss the store card TL's when they come to calcuate the average limits. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 15
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

Most prime lenders ignore store card CL's when they make that calculation... Why penalize people because they have a $200 store card, no one is going to give out a $10k limit on a gas card, So they just dismiss the store card TL's when they come to calcuate the average limits. 

Appreciate the follow up.

Message 5 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That is not entirely accurate jamesdwi.
Lenders consider everything on your credit report; that's the point of a credit report.
Imo, the biggest concern is utilization.
I closed my Redcard. They wouldn't budge on a crappy $300 limit while even my gas card had a $2000+ limit!
Close it and never look back !!!! They are stingy.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 15
jwduke
Regular Contributor

I have thought of closing mine too. I hate having to pay as soon as I get home so I don't have a high utilization on my report because I put $100 worth od charges on a $200 limit card! They MUST NOT look at your credit report when they give you a card as I have a $20,000 CL Navey Cash Rewards card, and they give me a $200 limit!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 15
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

do they give you anthing for having the card? ie 5% off when you use it in store, if so and there is no af i would say leave it open, other wise close it, a $200 cl wont make much impact if any esp w/ your recent cli's.  also if the pmt histroy is all positve it will stay on your report for up to 10yrs and count towards your AAoA

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 8 of 15
jwduke
Regular Contributor

I would just like a credit line that doesn't show a 50% uti if I spend $100... not good for the credit report.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

If you are planning to continue to shop there, keep it.    It give 5% discount, It wiil eventually have an old age and decent CL

If you are not going to shop there, close it since it becomes a nuisance and liability. .

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.