Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close accounts?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Close accounts?

I'm really wanting to bring up my average cl.
Also, I find that my $2100 Chevron card and $1700 OB card are of no use to me.
I get pretty regular clis so offsetting $3800 in avail credit is a matter of a phone call, plus I have more than enough backup plans; refer to Siggy for my many, many prime/store accounts...
My Chevron card was opened in Jan 2012
However my Orchard Bank Gold was opened in Dec 2006- this is my second oldest account.
Will closing either of these accounts have an impact on my FICO? I just feel like I have too much credit. I know OB EO will perform a hard pull if I request a cli; for that reason, I will not do it.
OB is my only AF card too:-( which I got halved this year to $19.50 from $39. I did just pay it in December too:-/ heh
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Close accounts?

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I'm really wanting to bring up my average cl.

No you aren't

Message 2 of 12
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

did you told us you were 22 by now ????? You have your first card when you 15 ?????

Anyway......closed account should stay on your report for 10 years so it's should be okay if you closed it.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

@nicholasyud wrote:

did you told us you were 22 by now ????? You have your first card when you 15 ?????

Anyway......closed account should stay on your report for 10 years so it's should be okay if you closed it.

There is no guarantee about that.

Message 4 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Nah, 23..almost 24.

Silly..
See, that scares me. I don't wanna lose any aaoa! Gr
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I know it's your credit so you can do what you want, but is there a reason you want to bring up the average credit limit on cards? I have 3 limits below 2000 and it hasn't hindered me at all in receiving higher limits. I wouldn't hesitate to close any card with an annual fee, even if it is the oldest. That's why I don't think it's ever a good idea to have the first credit card be one with a fee. I would wait until December though, so you get a full year.

Message 7 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well, for my next app spree.. I don't want to lose any potential cl. Im pretty sure Amex considera average credit limit(s). I noticed when I got my BCE, I was approved with about the average of all of my limits at that time.
I feel like a 1700&2100 limit are eyesores lol maybe Im just silly 0.o
Message 8 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Well, for my next app spree.. I don't want to lose any potential cl. Im pretty sure Amex considera average credit limit(s). I noticed when I got my BCE, I was approved with about the average of all of my limits at that time.
I feel like a 1700&2100 limit are eyesores lol maybe Im just silly 0.o

Well it doesn't look like you have trouble getting decent enough limits. Isn't Chevron a gasoline place? Seriously how much gasoline can one person get in one month? Anyway, none of us know what goes into credit limit decisions, but I think it would be silly for a lender to look negatively at smaller credit limit cards. However, if you will never use Chevron you could just close it, though they may close it first for non use.

Message 9 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I mean, I used it in Jan to buy flowers lol!
Chevron gas is overpriced anyway, and I use Freedom for gas atm and will use BCE soooo lol I do like that it has a cash advance option, but I never use cash advances lol and even if I had a "financial crisis" I'd get a cash advance from a diff card LOL.. Hmm
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.