Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close cards or BT ????

tag
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Close cards or BT ????

Ok, here's my problem if it is a problem. Since 9/07 I have received 10 CC. I know this is too many but there is nothing I can do about that now.
Until 3/08 they were tiny and then in the last month and a half I've received some prime cards w/ some decent CL's.
Since I'm relatively new to these boards I realize it was too many app's and too many cards. I'll list them, tell you what I'm thinking of doing and why and maybe I can get some feedback.

Pen Fed Rewards $15000cl opened 4/08
Pen Fed Gold $10000cl opened 4/08
BofA Visa $5000cl opened 3/08
Chase Rewards $3500cl opened 3/08
Cap 1 Visa $300cl opened 3/08
Lowes $700cl opened 3/08
Mens Warehouse $700cl opened 3/08
Orchard Gold $700cl opened 1/08
Cap 1 $1000cl opened 12/07
Orchard secured $200cl opened 9/07

TOO MANY,TOO SOON, I KNOW SO PLEASE DON'T JUMP ON ME !!! I'M NOT APP FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR.

Anyway, since they are all so new my credit history is new too. I have an auto loan that is 3yr10mo old and an AMEX card that was closed in good standing in 1994 so my history actually is about 4 yrs old.

I want to close the Orchard secured card and get my $200 back. They will not unsecure it for another 18 months and then according to these boards it's not even a definite.

I'd like to BT the Orchard Gold into one of the prime cards, everyone else has been great issuing CLI's but they are stingy and actually unfriendly.

I'm going to combine the two Cap1 cards into one or is it better to BT them into one of the prime cards in order to reduce the number of cards as well.

If I do the above it would reduce my card level by either 3 or 4. Since they've all been open only a short time I don't think it would affect my good payment history because they are all basically within months of each other.

I keep my UT way low now (below 3%) so reducing my overall credit balance(?) by either $900 or $2200 ,depending on which scenario might be better, isn't all that bad I think. But what do I know. That's why I'm here.

Which is better for my score overall ???? More cards and 4 more months of history on cards alone (the auto loan although 4 yrs old has numerous lates before I took charge of my problems), or a decent number of cards and 4 months less history.

Thanks .

FICO's
EQ 748
TU 720
EX 653

Jax

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 04-20-2008 04:24 AM
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Close cards or BT ????

Oh, I love playing with other people's credit! Thanks for posting this! Smiley Very Happy

OK, you currently have a total credit limit of $37,100. (I'm doing this in my head, so someone please holler if I go wrong.) If you close the two Orchard cards (total $900), that will reduce your total CL to $36,200. If you also close the two Cap One's, that will further reduce your total CL to $34,900.

There are several reasons to close cards, all of which can be perfectly legitimate according to your individual circumstances: they have fees, they will never grow with you, their low CL's make you look bad for future app'ing, you have problems controlling spending (being very general here), it's uncomfortable to have multiple open accounts, and they simply annoy the heck out of you.

Things to consider when closing: your total CL will drop, to whatever degree, so if you carry balances, your util will go up a little or a lot, depending on how big a chunk of your total util you just lost. You will have fewer open credit card accounts and fewer open tradelines (including loans and mortgages) overall, so it can get trickier keeping half or fewer reporting. And in terms of history, the accounts are supposed to keep reporting for another 10 years after closing, so no immediate impact there, but potentially an impact in a decade.

All that being said, in your position I would dump the Orchards. Is there a fee on either or both Cap Ones? If there's a fee, I would dump them, too, either now or 6 weeks before the next fee is due. If not, I would maybe try to consolidate the $300 card into the $1000 card, but not if it cost an inq or a fee. On all of these, they were opened closely together, and your recent feeding frenzy occurred at pretty much the same time, so even in 10 years, I doubt you'll see an impact. And by the way, if your average history is 4 years, you're doing better than I: mine is 3 years, 8 months, I think.

Thanks for cheering up my morning! I have two cards that are circling the drain, but I'm delaying closing them until the last late on each is 25 months old. It's irrational, I know, but I don't want to see those @#$%^&* yellow squares on my TrueCredit reports any more! Congrats on the banzai credit improvement! It's one way of doing it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Any accounts with AF wait till they come to renewal and close them. You already paid AF so keep them till they come to renew and close them. Though I beleive in Fico rules, I would say do what is sensible to your situation. Close the cards with AF. Close the Cards with low CL, if you are not going to use them. Close the secured cards and take your money out and put them into a good retun CD or investments. I closed 4 secured cards and pulled close to $14K from security deposits and saving it for downpayment towards the real estate. Keep things manageble and make sure you make the payments on time so they will not start doing the credit limit decrease. Dont worry about inq's they will go away with time.

Here is my suggestion.
Make sure to pay the ontime payments
Keep your Debt low
Keep good amount in Savings for the Rainy Day.
Close the accounts with AF.
Pull the money out of secured cards and put into investment.
Message 3 of 7
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Thanks HTSU.
It's pretty much what I've been thinking. The auto loan although 4 yrs is getting a GW every month. No success yet. The rest is in good standing , low UT.
I've got no loyalty to Orchard, they are just not CL friendly to me but did give me a start.
BTW, One of the reasons I'm considering this is because I'm getting into NFCU this week.
When I app for a card next year (boy will that be hard), I don't need 11 cards. I'd rather have 6-7 good ones with high CL's.
Or should I do this, take the hit of $2200. and app for the NFCU to bring my total credit limit up again although it's a another app ?? I should receive a high CL according to all the info posted here.
Thanks

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@jaxstraw wrote:

When I app for a card next year (boy will that be hard), I don't need 11 cards. I'd rather have 6-7 good ones with high CL's.

Or should I do this, take the hit of $2200. and app for the NFCU to bring my total credit limit up again although it's a another app ?? I should receive a high CL according to all the info posted here.
Thanks

Jax

Ah, the moth is fluttering back toward the candle flame! Smiley Very Happy

Your total CL doesn't matter if you only allow minimal balances to post, which I think is what you do. If you dump all four cards, you still will have a total CL at 94% of where it is now, so I don't think you're going to have an impact.

In the grand scheme of things, it would probably be fine to get NFCU now. My worry would be that PenFed might wonder what you're up to, since you'd probably get another good-sized CL from Navy.

Can you stand to show 4-6 months of lots of use and prompt payments with PenFed before getting Navy? You'd * probably * be OK getting Navy now, but there's a lot that we don't know here about PenFed, and since those two cards are such a big chunk of your current credit, I'd hate to see anything go bad there. It definitely won't hurt to wait, unless you are in some sort of eligibility category that's running out of time.

And I really like concorduser's to-do list. He is one of our "non-traditional app'ers", but it has worked for him (while curling my toes up.) What he lists is the name of the game: have lots of credit available, use hardly any of it, and sock cash away to cover future surprises.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Ha-Ha, yeah it's hard to stay out of the flame !!! Maybe I was looking for someone else just to say do it. Those CL's everyone else is posting sounded so good though !! Bummer.Thanks for setting me straight.
I can definitely wait for a while and still be in good shape. There is no time limit as far as I know w/ NFCU. It will be there in 6 months even if I open an account now.
Appreciate the input.

Jax
Jax

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you are unhappy with what the card offers, keep the cards open. With that said, I would personally close Orchard cards (very subprime) and try to combine the Capital One cards. Cap1 isn't as bad as everyone thinks - unless you screw them over. I would probably close the store cards, too. IMHO, the AF issue is overrated and a non-issue. To me, the deciding factor is what do I receive in return for my AF. Many people have cards with AF... just ask any AMEX Platinum member about the yearly fee($450), or a SkyMile card for $95.00; yet,I rarely see anyone closing their account.

Credit is too hard to come by when you need it. Why get rid of it when you have it?

Message Edited by FaircreditguyFL on 04-21-2008 05:40 AM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.