Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close or leave alone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close or leave alone?

So IDK what my average age is on ym accounts.

Im only 22 and opened my first credit card (walmart store card) when I was 19. It now has an 8k limit.

I also have a USAA card that has a limit of 2500k opened in Aug 2014. (what am I going to do with that, 1 point per $1 Smiley Sad )

These are sock drawer cards and are sitting in a safe. The walmart card is my only store card. 

Should I close these? I never plan to use them again?

I got 5 new cards in the last 3 months so IDK if I should simply leave them open and forget they are there.....But IDK how having a store card looks to CC companies. I want 800 score. lol

Just bored at work and looking for thoughts/ideas....

BTW, a $12.5k Navy Fed card is not im my siggy...but I have that as well.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

Re: Close or leave alone?

I think the Wal-mart card has a lot of advantages if you use them. For example this:

walmart-offer.png

And then there's the fact you can take up to the cash advance on the card and it counts as a purchase. I think it's like only $100 per 24 hours though but it can be useful if you need to float some money for 1-3 weeks due to life situations. I mean, you can buy 3-4 months of groceris if you truly want to (if you have a chest freezer) and put it all on 0% APR financing. I don't think you should give up this card so easily due to these two advantages.

Have they ever offered to upgrade the store card to the MasterCard version for you? I've used this card quite a bit since I've gotten it and I got the MC version. That's my take on it anyways! There may be other offers that are seasonal that I may not be aware of, maybe someone else knows.

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 2 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Walmart card is always a keeper. The way I see it, if the card isn't costing you anything, you might as well keep it open. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't the walmart card come with a fico score? EX maybe? 

In general, I recommend closing cards you don't use. You won't feel the AAoA effects for 10 years, so you really shouldn't worry about that part fo the game. However, if you're more comfortable SDing the cards, that's okay, too. 

Message 4 of 8
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Walmart card is always a keeper. The way I see it, if the card isn't costing you anything, you might as well keep it open. 

+1

might as well keep cards you don't use and have no AF open. Making a single small purchase every 1-3 month to keep the card active. That's what I do to my cards in the SD. 

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 5 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesn't the walmart card come with a fico score? EX maybe? 

In general, I recommend closing cards you don't use. You won't feel the AAoA effects for 10 years, so you really shouldn't worry about that part fo the game. However, if you're more comfortable SDing the cards, that's okay, too. 

TU08 score, which I assume the OP also gets from their barclay's sallie mae card. 

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

might as well keep cards you don't use and have no AF open. Making a single small purchase every 1-3 month to keep the card active. That's what I do to my cards in the SD. 

Agreed

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay guys. Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to use it every once and awhile.

it will be hard to do that with the USAA card since I kinda discontinued that relationship and moved my stuff to Navy Federal :/ but I'll see what I can do Smiley Happy

back in in the safe they go!!! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.