Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close out credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close out credit cards

Hi everybody, I have a question that I still am not sure about the answer.  If you close out credit cards does it negatively affect your fico score?  I await some responses before I decide.  Thanx!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Re: Close out credit cards

How long have you had the cards and what CLs are associated with the cards that you would like to close?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had two cap one's for about 5 years, both small c/l one $500 and the other $2500...thanx
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kanela wrote:
Hi everybody, I have a question that I still am not sure about the answer.  If you close out credit cards does it negatively affect your fico score?  I await some responses before I decide.  Thanx!

The only way it will effect your FICO is if the available credit lines will impact your current utilization percentages... The TLs Hx will stay on your report for at least 10 yrs if it is not being reported as derogatory.

If you need the available limits to keep your utilization low, than it can hurt.

Rob
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanx Rob, no derogatory reporting and I have two other cards with much higher c/l and are paid off in full each month so I dont think there will be a problem with closing these two small ones out.

Thanx for your information.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.