Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close sec Cap One?

tag
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

Close sec Cap One?

Prior to this weekend I just had a $400 secured Cap One card. This weekend I was approved for $500 Wal-Mart, $500 NFCU nRewards, & $800 Discover IT. Does it make sense to close the Cap One account and get my $400 back?

I know for AAoA purposes it'll still count for 10 years. I'm not too worried about util percent, not planning on carrying a balance on these cards for any significant period of time. I'm wondering if it will look bad to close the account since it's under a year old.

I'm planning to garden until Apr and try for Amex and/or Chase and want to do what's best to help with approvals Smiley Happy

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Tuxedo77
Contributor

Re: Close sec Cap One?

I'm sure the vets will chime in here, but maybe show a full year of having the account open is a good idea? There's no monthly fee so just wait til at least 12 months are under your belt. IMHO
AMEX: PRG, EDP - Citi: Double Cash WMC - Barclay's: Sallie Mae WMC, RMC - Discover: IT - Chase: Freedom
Message 2 of 3
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Re: Close sec Cap One?

@Genkeim wrote:

Prior to this weekend I just had a $400 secured Cap One card. This weekend I was approved for $500 Wal-Mart, $500 NFCU nRewards, & $800 Discover IT. Does it make sense to close the Cap One account and get my $400 back?

I know for AAoA purposes it'll still count for 10 years. I'm not too worried about util percent, not planning on carrying a balance on these cards for any significant period of time. I'm wondering if it will look bad to close the account since it's under a year old.

I'm planning to garden until Apr and try for Amex and/or Chase and want to do what's best to help with approvals Smiley Happy

AmEx likes to see 1 year credit history, for their revolvers.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.