Frequent Contributor
Genkeim

Close sec Cap One?

Prior to this weekend I just had a $400 secured Cap One card. This weekend I was approved for $500 Wal-Mart, $500 NFCU nRewards, & $800 Discover IT. Does it make sense to close the Cap One account and get my $400 back?

I know for AAoA purposes it'll still count for 10 years. I'm not too worried about util percent, not planning on carrying a balance on these cards for any significant period of time. I'm wondering if it will look bad to close the account since it's under a year old.

I'm planning to garden until Apr and try for Amex and/or Chase and want to do what's best to help with approvals :smileyhappy:

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | NFCU goRewards $1.5k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Contributor
Tuxedo77

Re: Close sec Cap One?

I'm sure the vets will chime in here, but maybe show a full year of having the account open is a good idea? There's no monthly fee so just wait til at least 12 months are under your belt. IMHO
AMEX: PRG, EDP - Citi: Double Cash WMC - Barclay's: Sallie Mae WMC, RMC - Discover: IT - Chase: Freedom
Frequent Contributor
Odiseous

Re: Close sec Cap One?

Genkeim wrote:

Prior to this weekend I just had a $400 secured Cap One card. This weekend I was approved for $500 Wal-Mart, $500 NFCU nRewards, & $800 Discover IT. Does it make sense to close the Cap One account and get my $400 back?

I know for AAoA purposes it'll still count for 10 years. I'm not too worried about util percent, not planning on carrying a balance on these cards for any significant period of time. I'm wondering if it will look bad to close the account since it's under a year old.

I'm planning to garden until Apr and try for Amex and/or Chase and want to do what's best to help with approvals :smileyhappy:

AmEx likes to see 1 year credit history, for their revolvers.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}