cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close some junky Prime cards? Not so sure...

tag
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Close some junky Prime cards? Not so sure...

I was lucky over the past few months and wound up with 3 new Amex (backdated, of course) - 2 charge 1 revolver, and 1 new Discover More. Only 1 of the Amex's report so far. Limits arent' that great,, but I am confident I can grow them over time. I have no immediate use for a significant limit anyway. I was thinking of getting rid of a few cards that have not been good to me over the years, but the problem is that some of them are prime banks, so not sure if it's better to keep or just close for now and reapp when I feel better about it? 

BofA Plat+ 1-2-3 - $500 limit (it was up to $2k at one point, then they reduced in '09 and never would increase, tried 2x for CLI) Open since 2007 NO AF. They don't like me, yet I'm dumb enough to bank with them for the past 8+ years (biz/pers both)

Chase SW RR Visa - $400 limit (was $1500 then they also dropped in '09 and will not increase. Also will not PC, I called recently) open since 2008 NO AF. They just hate me, they pretty much said so when I called in for PC recently.

Orchard $500 - I just haven't bothered to call in, but this one's gone ASAP. They didn't charge me an AF for 2 years though, so not sure what my hurry is, besides not having the obviously-orchard HSBC $500 (now Cap1) on my CR. 

Hooters / Merrick - $1500 limit $3/mo for the AF, but they are good about CLI once I started PIF and using the card

On a side note, I have NFCU $7500 MC, and some store cards, also a couple business cards - Citi World MC $8k and Chase Ink $2500 and Staples and OD (only the chase ink reports on personal of all the biz cards)

Should I close the cards above that are not able to grow? More interested in the long run, as I don't need to buy anything in the immediate year or so, and don't really need to App for a card anytime soon. Just want to grow my new cards. My biggest concern is AAoA and the fact that even with low limits, they are considered prime and must help somehow when it comes to manual reviews? Not too sure about that tho

Any advice appreciated! TIA 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Close some junky Prime cards? Not so sure...

They hurt you with their small limits on manual reviews. I would close all or continue to SD. Pick up another nfcu card; preferably visa this time. Also if you are eligible to be a full member of usaa ; they have some nice cards that will be good long term.

BOA; Merrick; chase; orchard cap 1 will never be in the same league as nfcu amex and discover in my book. Id rather settle for less rewards and know that customer service would have my back.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 4
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I agree that you should close the accounts. Prime or not. They are not realy helping much. Furthermore, they will contribute to your AAoA for ten years after you have closed them.

However with 3 new AMEX cards, one Discover More and the NFCU card, I think you have plenty of cards. I woud recommend just holding on to what you have and not applying for anymore cards at this point.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 4
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Yes I also agree. I would close them down... You still get your 10 years so why not? Small CL's not really worth the trouble.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.