cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed 3 store cards. Was grateful for them:)

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Closed 3 store cards. Was grateful for them:)

thanks everyoneSmiley Happy I can't really bring myself yet to close anymore because the lowest cl is $3500, and ill wait to see how my major cards do over the next few years. i always feel like Im in a dream with all this credit, and Ill wake up and I won't have, lol. maybe in a few years I might close a couple more i don't use that often, but ill keep with these three for now.
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
thanks everyoneSmiley Happy I can't really bring myself yet to close anymore because the lowest cl is $3500, and ill wait to see how my major cards do over the next few years. i always feel like Im in a dream with all this credit, and Ill wake up and I won't have, lol. maybe in a few years I might close a couple more i don't use that often, but ill keep with these three for now.

No reason not to, really.

Message 12 of 22
msbia
Established Contributor

Good job Pizza1, I have been doing he same lately (see sig). Although it hurt I closed my Walmart ($1400), Cap1 QS1 (yep during the approval frenzy, $1000), Home Depot $2,000) and next is PayPal SC and maybe....maybe Macy's. I closed Chevron and Gap in December. It can only help us in the long term. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I consider my own profile still fairly green as profiles go and I have recently closed out a whole host of those SCT cards as well as a reasonable $2200 reporting limit Fingerhut account with absolutely no regrets nor expect any mention of them during any review. In fact, it was during these recent closing cards that the big primes prequal sites began to start showing some nice offers. So take that for what it is but for me it was an unmistakable signal.

Do you mean things got easier once you closed fingerhut? I am planning to pay them off and close it this month since they are CRAZY over priced. Do you recommend closing all store cards too or just some?

Message 14 of 22
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I consider my own profile still fairly green as profiles go and I have recently closed out a whole host of those SCT cards as well as a reasonable $2200 reporting limit Fingerhut account with absolutely no regrets nor expect any mention of them during any review. In fact, it was during these recent closing cards that the big primes prequal sites began to start showing some nice offers. So take that for what it is but for me it was an unmistakable signal.

Do you mean things got easier once you closed fingerhut? I am planning to pay them off and close it this month since they are CRAZY over priced. Do you recommend closing all store cards too or just some?

The Pre Qualify sites most definitely turned on for me beginning with Chase after months of nothing, nada, zilch.

Can't be specific if it was a single store or the series of closing out SCT cards improved the situation, but starting limits on new cards also improved.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

The Pre Qualify sites most definitely turned on for me beginning with Chase after months of nothing, nada, zilch.

Can't be specific if it was a single store or the series of closing out SCT cards improved the situation, but starting limits on new cards also improved.

Thanks! Thats really helpful for me ..The store cards I recently got have such low limits and that frustrates me after working so hard to get higher limits on my main cards.

Message 16 of 22
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Thanks! Thats really helpful for me ..The store cards I recently got have such low limits and that frustrates me after working so hard to get higher limits on my main cards.

Might be of note or not.

The SCT cards I closed and also fingerhut were either just at 1 year or a little more.

Linensource was like 8 months with also strangely enough the fastest CLI of even any of those before it but I just couldn't stomach another beating from Barclays after 2 consecutive tries for the Sallie Mae card knowing they prevented an approval even after numerous recon attempts. Barclays decision actually helped encourag me to begin scaling back those cards one by one. 

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Might be of note or not.

The SCT cards I closed and also fingerhut were either just at 1 year or a little more.

Linensource was like 8 months with also strangely enough the fastest CLI of even any of those before it but I just couldn't stomach another beating from Barclays after 2 consecutive tries for the Sallie Mae card knowing they prevented an approval even after numerous recon attempts. Barclays decision actually helped encourag me to begin scaling back those cards one by one. 

Fingerhut I have had for about a year or more but my vs and justice store cards i just got a month or two ago and the limits are 250!! i have used and pif a couple times but really why would i use those cards instead of my main cards which i actually earn rewards on? i just cant decide if its worth watiing out..then i have the tj max card whcih i actually really like because i use it often but i also have the gap card which i would only want to keep if they coverted to gap visa which i know they wouldnt so soon. my target card i use and pif  and they recently raised my limit to 800 but still it hurts my utilization even after 1 trip of 200 spent. 

Message 18 of 22
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I cannot comment on how it would impact but can confirm that it can be done without a single store card as I never had one. I would keep the store cards that you actually use but close the ones that you do not use unless you need them  for util padding. 

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingerhut is the next dragon to slay for me.  I'm just getting off their FreshStart program with a $30 payment that will end it.  After that I'll cancel it, too. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.