Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Valued Member
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0

Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??

I just checked my credit reports and it shows my old AMEX Gold card (closed in 2000) is still reporting. Is that commonplace?

 

I thought AMEX stopped reporting after 10 years?

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, if the account was always paid on time it can report forever.


Starting Score: TU 680 FAKO
Current Score: EQ 721 FICO TU 784 FICO
Goal Score: 850


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??

[ Edited ]

 


 Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, if the account was always paid on time it can report forever.


 

Hopefully that's true. It will definitely help my overall AAOA since this account was opened in 1997.

 

Can anyone verify?

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??

From what I'm reading now it's definitely at least 10 years from DOLA ... But sometimes longer. I wouldn't complain at any rate Smiley Wink

Starting Score: TU 680 FAKO
Current Score: EQ 721 FICO TU 784 FICO
Goal Score: 850


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
Posts: 5,759
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??

[ Edited ]

 


RobSteal wrote:

I just checked my credit reports and it shows my old AMEX Gold card (closed in 2000) is still reporting. Is that commonplace?

 

I thought AMEX stopped reporting after 10 years?

 

 


Was the account in good standing at the time of closure?  It's possible for accounts to report longer than 10 years.  I have a few closed accounts that's been reporting since 2000.   While the account is still reporting, you can use it to your advantage.  If you apply for another AMEX account you can get it backdated to year 2000 if they don't do it automatically.  If they request proof of your 1997 account,  you have it.  The best thing do while the account is reporting is write down the account number.  AMEX's account numbers on credit reports  are not the same as the account number on the card. 

Moderator
Posts: 17,419
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??


csol47 wrote:
From what I'm reading now it's definitely at least 10 years from DOLA ... But sometimes longer. I wouldn't complain at any rate Smiley Wink


I'm not sure where you are reading the part about DoLA but that is not correct. DoLA can mean several different things.

 

An account generally reports for up to 10 years after closing but in some cases it can report for even longer and that's a good thing.

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 309
Registered: ‎07-19-2010
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??

In that case, what about a closed account with derogatory information?  Does that show for ten years or do the negatives drop off after seven years?

Valued Member
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??


MarineVietvet wrote:

csol47 wrote:
From what I'm reading now it's definitely at least 10 years from DOLA ... But sometimes longer. I wouldn't complain at any rate Smiley Wink


I'm not sure where you are reading the part about DoLA but that is not correct. DoLA can mean several different things.

 

An account generally reports for up to 10 years after closing but in some cases it can report for even longer and that's a good thing.

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".


 

Do you know a reason why some accounts like AMEX report for longer than 10 years?

Moderator
Posts: 17,419
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??


gangof4 wrote:

In that case, what about a closed account with derogatory information?  Does that show for ten years or do the negatives drop off after seven years?


I could be wrong (I often am) but I believe the 10 years still applies but after the negatives drop off the account gains positive status for the last three of those years.

 

Let me ask around about that to make sure.

 

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Moderator
Posts: 17,419
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0

Re: Closed AMEX Account in 2000, Still Reporting on CR 10+ Years Later??

[ Edited ]

RobSteal wrote:

 

Do you know a reason why some accounts like AMEX report for longer than 10 years?


No I really don't. I had a LOC that was opened in 1988 and closed just a few years later but it didn't show as closed until last year. I definitely lucked out on that and it happens to a few people from time to time.

 

Count yourself very fortunate!

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.