Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Amex BCE!

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Closed Amex BCE!

As the title states I closed this out tonight after reallocating half of the $6k limit to my HHonors Surpass card. I also requested $2400 to Delta Platinum (with its lousy $3100 limit) but the CSR got a pending response.

BCE was at one point my goal card. It's about 20 months old and I rarely used it any longer. So now I'm down to HHonors ($10k limit), Delta Platinum ($3100 limit pending the result) and a Business Gold card. I might apply for another personal account on January 1 for backdating purposes though. My MSD is 1998. I've had my eyes on SPG, but Amex has been very reluctant to budge on this Delta limit so I'm not sure I should go for it.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Closed Amex BCE!

I hear you. I have this card and I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. I really only use it for groceries and even then I buy most of those at target (where I have a red card) and BJs where I have their 5% MasterCard. But I won't give up amex. Lol
Message 2 of 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I'm in somewhat the same boat. I'll probably close my BCE and roll about half its CL into my TE if I can. May I ask what sort of procedure you had to go through?

The one time I allocated a balance it was with Chase and was quick and easy, but I see that Amex (online) asks questions similar to ones that might be on a CLI app, and now you say one of your requests was not approved right away. How difficult did Amex make this for you? What info did they require?

Message 3 of 5
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Gunnar,

It was pretty straight forward.  I dialed the number on the back of the BCE and selected "0" for a CSR.  I said I wanted to close it due to trimming the collection and it had the least amount of use.  But before I closed it, I asked if they could move the limit to one of my more useful cards (the CSR said he was about to ask that).  I was going to just move it all to HHonors, but decided last minute to split it.  He asked me to verify my annual income and it was completed on the first card immediately.  When he went to process the second one, he entered the same annual income but got the 7-10 day response.  I don't know if that's typical for reallocating to more than one card or because that second card (Delta) is 6 months younger than the HHonors card.  He gave me the option to leave BCE open until the reult of the pending response came, but I elected to proceed with closing out BCE.  It was about 5 minute conversation, painless.

Message 4 of 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Gunnar,

It was pretty straight forward.  I dialed the number on the back of the BCE and selected "0" for a CSR.  I said I wanted to close it due to trimming the collection and it had the least amount of use.  But before I closed it, I asked if they could move the limit to one of my more useful cards (the CSR said he was about to ask that).  I was going to just move it all to HHonors, but decided last minute to split it.  He asked me to verify my annual income and it was completed on the first card immediately.  When he went to process the second one, he entered the same annual income but got the 7-10 day response.  I don't know if that's typical for reallocating to more than one card or because that second card (Delta) is 6 months younger than the HHonors card.  He gave me the option to leave BCE open until the reult of the pending response came, but I elected to proceed with closing out BCE.  It was about 5 minute conversation, painless.

Thank you, B355is. That's helpful.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.