cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed CITI Account Question

tag
cd147

Closed CITI Account Question

I finally decided to pull my credit score and report from myfico. It showed a citi bank credit card from 2004. My first year of college, I signed up for one of their stupid free t-shirts. Apparently this opened a credit card account (which they assured me it wouldn't)? I never activated it and it closed itself without me doing anything. I don't really know what to make of it. It's not hurting my credit score (FICO 780, which is a nice surprise.) and may actually be helping, because all my other cards are new acquisitions (BOA 123 in August, Chase Freedom in November). FICO says my credit history age is 8 years, which can only be true if you consider the Citi card or the card I'm an authorized user on.

Should I do anything about this or is it actually helping me? 

How is it affecting the age of my credit? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Closed CITI Account Question

It's helping you. Closed accounts stay on profile and continue to age for 10 years from the date they are closed, then they fall off. Some CRAs have been removing closed accounts earlier than the 10 year period.

But in short it's boosting your AAoA now until it falls off
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 5
cd147

Well, this is all good news haha. 

Would this still be regarded as a "thin file"? 

Message 3 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

8 years of credit history is good. It's definitely not thin. At the same time it's not that thick, but thick enough to get most things done, if you get what I mean. What is your AAoA?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 5
cd147

FICO says three years. It also reports my electricity bill from this year but none of my ones since 2009 but hey, can't win it all I guess. 

I'm pretty happy about this and feel like I should take advantage of it before this CITI thing falls off my credit report. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.