Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed CSP

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed CSP

dodgerslv, our credit profile is similar.

the real kicker is my oldest account is 8+ years, and two or three of my first accounts were with Chase and paid in full. NEVER defaulted, even at 18 years of age!!!!!!! Even when I had no job and my dear mother paid all my bills.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 21 of 44
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I know I have a lot of credit.

But there is no point in having a lot of credit unless I can make use of it. I suppose at this point it is necessary for me to make some cut backs credit line and debt wise. I have no problem paying any of my current obligations.

You'd be amazed at how much in taxes I pay as a single with no dependents. 150k doesn't go very far at all :-( sad day. Well I just opened a penfed savings account. I got no pre approvals or anything. I will wait until I am officially in with Penfed before I apply as Ive read on here horror stories about people app'ing for cards right away when they haven't even been approved for the savings account. LOL

or should I just go ahead and app for a card with them??? lol

Chase is just pissed that I'm not paying them interest. lmao.

if they HP you already once you opened the savings account then it doesnt hurt to try since they use the same one.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 22 of 44
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

dodgerslv, our credit profile is similar.

the real kicker is my oldest account is 8+ years, and two or three of my first accounts were with Chase and paid in full. NEVER defaulted, even at 18 years of age!!!!!!! Even when I had no job and my dear mother paid all my bills.

yeah they are except that i am not as young as you young...LOL. I made some repairs on a home i bought cash so i racked up some unexpected debt. I just got approved for another Barclays so i should really be careful from here on now and lay low. And my first signature approval was indeed with Chase, I have 5 cards with them but over 6 digits in investment and liquid assets on their banking side. I really think that will not matter if they were to do an AA on me and see all my debt at the moment. I PIF about 95% of the time with them so i let them make a little money...lol

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 23 of 44
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Guess I'll ask: if you're only spending 1-2K per month with them (and PIFing) what rationale do they have for extending further credit on a CL that already meets your current needs?

I think some things get confused in the conversation here sometimes, but credit isn't a right, it's a business decision, and when we're talking banks and other financial institutions, it's all about the benjamins and end of the day, not much else

Unfortunately, just because you behave responsibility with a card, doesn't mean you're making the bank any money.  Every tradeline they issue has to be accounted for on their balance sheet and in their reserve calculation... and having recently extended you 25K which doesn't sound like you were using substantially, what's their incentive for issuing more rather than to some other customer who might be more profitable by however their algorithms factor it?

It's not personal.  I know it's an instant gratification society, but closing a card in response to not being approved for a CLI isn't necessarily in one's best interests: if it was a good card for your expenses, I'd suggest it was worth keeping.  At the time of my Amex denial on my 3rd CLI shot, my income dwarfed my limits and I'd likewise been a "good" customer (better one arguably since Amex pockets the interchange fee directly with all those swipes I made over time, CC's are such a racket on the backend I swear) but wasn't worth throwing out a useful card over... my theory anyway.

Also it's not clear if other lenders algorithms can tell whether you're on a 0% promotion or not: if they just see you carrying the debt without that piece of knowledge, that's very different potentially than a rational/smart personal finance decision if they're not aware of that... and unless it's something really wrong, the vast majority of front-line CSR's will say no to a grey area request which is just good call center technique.  Again not personal, even if maybe it could've been handled better on their end but YHTBT most likely.

Edit: RIF

        
Message 24 of 44
red259
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Guess I'll ask: if you're only spending 1-2K per month with them (and PIFing) what rationale do they have for extending further credit on a CL that already meets your current needs?

I think some things get confused in the conversation here sometimes, but credit isn't a right, it's a business decision, and when we're talking banks and other financial institutions, it's all about the benjamins and end of the day, not much else

Unfortunately, just because you behave responsibility with a card, doesn't mean you're making the bank any money.  Every tradeline they issue has to be accounted for on their balance sheet and in their reserve calculation... and having recently extended you 25K which doesn't sound like you were using substantially, what's their incentive for issuing more rather than to some other customer who might be more profitable by however their algorithms factor it?

It's not personal.  I know it's an instant gratification society, but closing a card in response to not being approved for a CLI isn't necessarily in one's best interests: if it was a good card for your expenses, I'd suggest it was worth keeping.  At the time of my Amex denial on my 3rd CLI shot, my income dwarfed my limits and I'd likewise been a "good" customer (better one arguably since Amex pockets the interchange fee directly with all those swipes I made over time, CC's are such a racket on the backend I swear) but wasn't worth throwing out a useful card over... my theory anyway.

Also it's not clear if other lenders algorithms can tell whether you're on a 0% promotion or not: if they just see you carrying the debt without that piece of knowledge, that's very different potentially than a rational/smart personal finance decision if they're not aware of that... and unless it's something really wrong, the vast majority of front-line CSR's will say no to a grey area request which is just good call center technique.  Again not personal, even if maybe it could've been handled better on their end but YHTBT most likely.

Edit: RIF

+1 People are not entitled to a CLI for the sake of it. They see you are carrying debt and now your asking for a credit line increase when your past usage doesn't seem to indicate any need for such an increase. I'm not surprised they denied you. Chase is just making a business decision and in their view giving you more credit would be a bad decision on their part. Closing your accounts won't teach them anything. They could care less. I would only close accounts if its in your own best interest. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 44
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well, I think you are actually correct.

They don't make interest income off of me.

I made about 1500-$2000 off of them between Marriott and CSP opening in 6-9 months. Haha Im sure that's why they are mad. I explained that all of my stuff was at zero percent, but I suspect that made them even more suspicious (of what, I don't know lol)

I chose to reduce my exposure. Luckily, a piddily ole $10k credit line wont hurt my util, and I'll actually save $95 a year since this card would have had an AF the second year.

BOA keeps sending me pre approvals for Better Balance and maybe Penfed will approve me. LOL I'm not worried. Hell, maybe I should close all my damn cards and say  mod edit  screw 'emall.

lol I won't go that far, but look..... I wont swet it.

AND FURTHERMORE, I NEVER said I was entitled to a cli. I was just flustered that I did not get one. lol And some of you are saying contradictory things.

If I use the credit, I'm bankrupt. If I don't use it, I'm a cheapskate. LMAO GET real tricks.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 26 of 44
jd352
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

Sorry they upset you but Chase has to, by law, factor in your ability to pay your card when you request a CLI. Most people "fluff" their CR's to look stellar prior to app'ing for cards to not only increase your ability to get approved but also increase your ability to score some nice limits. Therefore, most of the time people are handed out nice limits when they apply with good credit history because their debts are typically low.

It may have sounded like they were insulting you for your current CC debt, but they are really just obiding by the Credit Card Act by considering your ability to pay (even though this has not been a factor with your Chase accounts). But, it doesn't mean that it won't be in the future.

‘‘A card issuer may not open any credit card account for any consumer under an open end consumer credit plan, or increase any credit limit applicable to such account, unless the card issuer considers the ability of the consumer to make the required payments under the terms of such account.’’

Hmm?  Most people barely know what goes on their credit report let alone how to optimize it.  Many barely are even aware such things exist other than an abstraction.  Even the person I respect more than anyone else on the planet, and has been in and around the lending industry for decades, recently talked about Credit Karma as if it were some useful measurement of credit standing as far as the FICO algorithm goes... er, sorry buddy but it's not.  

If you're taking the population here and at a few other places to be statistically relevant to the population as a whole, well, we don't rate in that regard Smiley Happy.  Very small, very much an outlier group.

You're right. I shouldn't generalize the general population of the world. Many of the people on here, MyFico who are registered users actively engaging in credit card account topics, discuss about how they can optimize their reports for approvals and CLI's. Smiley Wink Apparently I need to be ultra cautious with how I word things today.

This is also a double edged sword though as it provides you with tons (not in weight, but in quantity) of information to typically help you achieve steps in building a successful credit portfolio. I won't generalize again, but I will say that I am the only one of my friends and immediate family members (about 40 people) that actively engages in MyFico discussions or even cares about what my CR says and where my scores are at. Of those, most only have 1 credit card that they use sparingly which has no rewards structure. Most typically use their debit cards... with a PIN. Smiley Sad That being said, this site is a great tool for those who are actively seeking to improve their credit.

I was merely saying it because OP talked about how CCC's give high limits, but then turn around a couple months later after we let our optimization slack a bit and refuse to increase CL's to comparable accounts. Amex did it with me, they claimed my utilization was too high as it was at 6.8% which isn't even on their card. But, the point is, they noticed it and wouldn't issue my CLI request. Had I been more proactive before the CLI request, I could have paid that down prior to requesting. But, it's a 0% card with the remainder of my balance tuition on it and I'm not going to pay it off just for a CLI. It comes across as contradicting because there are plenty of cards that offer 0% on purchases and BT's (including Amex), but then seem to have an issue with you actually utilizing them.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 27 of 44
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Hey young-  You mentioned you do not have a mortgage.  You may want to think about buying instead of renting (assuming your job is stable and you see yourself staying in your geographic area for awhile).

Your mortgage interest is 100% deductible from your federal income taxes.  I don't make as much as you but after I bought my place, my tax bill went from having to pay an extra $2K in April every year to the IRS (after withholdings)...to now I receive a ~$4000 refund/year from Federal and State.  It's a nice change Smiley Wink

Since you are single with no children, this is one of the few tax shelters available (I'm in the same boat).  Plus you are building equity rather than throwing money away in rent.  Just my $0.02.

Message 28 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Chase is just pissed that I'm not paying them interest. lmao.

I suspect this counts as "hearing what you want to hear."   Aren't you getting CLIs from other issuers without paying interest.  Many people here do, even getting CLIs on cards with little use.   Chase had concerns that were legitimate to them, they didn't wake up and say "Hey, let's have some fun with guy.  Sure, his profile is fine, but let's deny him and see what happens".   And if you feel that these concerns won't extend to other lenders at some point, closing the card and moving on is fine.  But, personally, I would wonder if other lenders might have similar concerns a little later on.

Message 29 of 44
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jd352 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

Sorry they upset you but Chase has to, by law, factor in your ability to pay your card when you request a CLI. Most people "fluff" their CR's to look stellar prior to app'ing for cards to not only increase your ability to get approved but also increase your ability to score some nice limits. Therefore, most of the time people are handed out nice limits when they apply with good credit history because their debts are typically low.

It may have sounded like they were insulting you for your current CC debt, but they are really just obiding by the Credit Card Act by considering your ability to pay (even though this has not been a factor with your Chase accounts). But, it doesn't mean that it won't be in the future.

‘‘A card issuer may not open any credit card account for any consumer under an open end consumer credit plan, or increase any credit limit applicable to such account, unless the card issuer considers the ability of the consumer to make the required payments under the terms of such account.’’

Hmm?  Most people barely know what goes on their credit report let alone how to optimize it.  Many barely are even aware such things exist other than an abstraction.  Even the person I respect more than anyone else on the planet, and has been in and around the lending industry for decades, recently talked about Credit Karma as if it were some useful measurement of credit standing as far as the FICO algorithm goes... er, sorry buddy but it's not.  

If you're taking the population here and at a few other places to be statistically relevant to the population as a whole, well, we don't rate in that regard Smiley Happy.  Very small, very much an outlier group.

You're right. I shouldn't generalize the general population of the world. Many of the people on here, MyFico who are registered users actively engaging in credit card account topics, discuss about how they can optimize their reports for approvals and CLI's. Smiley Wink Apparently I need to be ultra cautious with how I word things today.

This is also a double edged sword though as it provides you with tons (not in weight, but in quantity) of information to typically help you achieve steps in building a successful credit portfolio. I won't generalize again, but I will say that I am the only one of my friends and immediate family members (about 40 people) that actively engages in MyFico discussions or even cares about what my CR says and where my scores are at. Of those, most only have 1 credit card that they use sparingly which has no rewards structure. Most typically use their debit cards... with a PIN. Smiley Sad That being said, this site is a great tool for those who are actively seeking to improve their credit.

I was merely saying it because OP talked about how CCC's give high limits, but then turn around a couple months later after we let our optimization slack a bit and refuse to increase CL's to comparable accounts. Amex did it with me, they claimed my utilization was too high as it was at 6.8% which isn't even on their card. But, the point is, they noticed it and wouldn't issue my CLI request. Had I been more proactive before the CLI request, I could have paid that down prior to requesting. But, it's a 0% card with the remainder of my balance tuition on it and I'm not going to pay it off just for a CLI. It comes across as contradicting because there are plenty of cards that offer 0% on purchases and BT's (including Amex), but then seem to have an issue with you actually utilizing them.

Actually you make a very interesting point: with all the information found here, it fundamentally changes our behavior as consumers... and that puts us in the outlier basket as we're deviant from the norms which is almost certainly more likely to trigger AA from pretty much any lender.

I've long preached that it's better to be a needle in the haystack so I try really hard to look "average" while still making use of the information on this forum to my advantage; however, it usually gets ignored (perhaps rightfully) as even for the majority of us on this forum, it really doesn't matter that much as long as our risk profile continues to fall, and we're still at the APR they deemed us profitable at when the underwriting decision was made.

On the other hand there's clear examples on the forum, and perhaps this is one of them, where there's hurdles that even our knowledge can't get over.

        
Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.