cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Cap1 Secured and PC'd Plat to QS. Open another Plat?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed Cap1 Secured and PC'd Plat to QS. Open another Plat?

I've had a secured card via Cap1 for about 2 years, finally closed it after PCing my Platinum to a QS. I also have a QS1 currently, which I'll be rolling into the QS after 6 months and credit step CLIs.

Should I bother opening another Plat at this point to replace the Secured card's CL? I did notice a CS drop on EX after closing, probably due to higher Util I'm assuming

Scores are around 630 on each report via myFico

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed Cap1 Secured and PC'd Plat to QS. Open another Plat?

Uppers. Last and Only bump

Message 2 of 6
driftless
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your rebuilding. I was in the same position once. I would grow both of those cards and start to check the pre-qualified sites on a regular basis. Not sure that another C1 sup-prime card will help you.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
Congratulations on your rebuilding. I was in the same position once. I would grow both of those cards and start to check the pre-qualified sites on a regular basis. Not sure that another C1 sup-prime card will help you.

Yeah I'm kind of on the same page after thinking about it. The idea with the Plat would be to PC it to another QS after the first statement, but I might as well wait until I can apply straight for other cards of a QS Visa / Venture

Message 4 of 6
driftless
Valued Contributor

I would try for a CLI every time that you are eligible for one. It doesn't hurt to chat with a CSR as well. You may want to consider looking at other banks like Chase and Discover as well. I think that the banks use credit reports that have some "age" on them so don't expect to a pre-qualified offer as soon as your score improves. Good Luck!
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think my scores are quite up there for Chase/Discover yet, unfortunately. I'm hovering around 640ish on all 3, trying to get my last few derogs removed. One 30 day late on a now paid off car loan 6 months ago (WFDS is the worst..)

I did the CLI for my QS1, and should get the credit steps increase next statement. Was denied CLI for my QS (Plat PCd to QS), due to a "recently returned payment" (money was there, payment didnt go through. Recon'd with bank letter, but no dice), but should still get credit steps CLI for that one as well, from what they've said.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.