Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Credit One, AF was comin up!

tag
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Closed Credit One, AF was comin up!

Closed CreditOne account before work today.  It was much easier than I read it to be online, even tho you had to use common sense to even talk to a person on the phone.

I called, listened to all options twice, there is no customer support or I want to cancel option.  So 2nd time around I hit 0 since it was not a number that went to any of their choices.  Got a guy on the phone after about 2 minutes.  Told him I wanted to cancel, he asked why.  Told him AF is due soon, I dont want an AF, APR is too high and credit limit too low.  He asked if I would stay if they lowered the APR to 18%, I said no, unless you go over 1500, reduce apr to 8 and remove the AF I want to cancel.  He said ok, gave a little 20 second speech about making sure I change over any automatic payments I have and then said the account was closed.

They owe me 18 cents but I dont mind if they keep it Smiley Tongue  The way their payments work you almost cant pay the entire amount plus the few days interest youve been charged so you always end up with a sub 2.00 balance after paying off.  But somehow it let me when I paid last time, dont remember how.

(tried to pay any amount over what she owes and it turns red and wont let you, so you end up paying whats owed but not the interest)

Anywho, got a barclay for 1500 after I got to work, so a good replacement! Smiley Happy

Thanks for reading.

*edit*
I just remembered, to make them owe me I got a gas fill up, paid the bill that night and when payment posted I got my gas rewards % back.  So bill was like 20 bucks, I paid 20 bucks that night so no interest could accrue and when I got my rewards it put me under and made credit one owe me money.  You can do that to avoid having to pay the sub 2 dollar interest they might charge you when you close the card.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed Credit One, AF was comin up!

Congratulations on closing this fee harvester.

Message 2 of 15
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

One less headache. Good for you!

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 3 of 15
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Thanks!

The only card I had where I had to worry a fee/monthly charge would show up when I kept a 0 balance.  Always worried I would miss a payment when I owed nothing with them Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@japakar wrote:

Thanks!

The only card I had where I had to worry a fee/monthly charge would show up when I kept a 0 balance.  Always worried I would miss a payment when I owed nothing with them Smiley Tongue

That monthly fee crap isn't them being "nice enough to accept the annual fee in payments" It's meant to potentially trip you up and cause late fee to be charged + interest for any and all fees accrued.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also doing this Monday. Thanks for the tips! 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good stuff, you made my night!

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh. I've never thought about that...the monthly fee being assessed the way it is to increase their chances of slapping you with a late fee. The more I hear about Credit One, the more I'm reminded of a Venus Flytrap, sucking the life out of any hapless creature that happens to fall into its clutches.

Message 8 of 15
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Smart decision they won't  be taking your money anymore. 😀

Message 9 of 15
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.