cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed, Downgraded, Applying and in the Radar!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed, Downgraded, Applying and in the Radar!

It was time to kiss and say good bye...no longer needed them. I've reached the point of my life where i can say I'm back where I was before I had to file for ch7 in 2010 after my wife lost her job during the bad economy. I can't believe 7 years have gone by so fast. I remember hesitating to file ch7 and having to wait the looooong 7 then 10 year mark...I'm here now, and got 3 more years to go Smiley Happy sad times those were Smiley Sad

Closed:

Overstock - $4,900 CL - Closed on the phone

PayPal - $2,900 CL - Closed online

TjMaxx - $1,000 CL - Closes online on Chat

Downgraded:

Barclay Arrival + - On the phone, no questions asked

Applying:

Uber Visa - Next week

On the radar:

CSP - Next AF is due on 6/2018 - will revise then. Will keep it as CSP if i start using it or downgrade to Freedom Unlimited if i won't be using it.

Costco - Next AF is due on 7/2018 - will revise then

AMEX Green - Next AF is due on 8/2018 - will revise then. Most likely will close, unless i get an offer to upgrade.

US Bank Cash + - If they don't honor the offer I applied for, I will be closing it, along with the US Bank 365, CLOC and Checkings account. This bank s***s anyways, every customer service rep that I've talked to has been rude...booo

BOFA - Secured card, will close if it doesn't unsecure at the 1 yr 1 month mark

So now, I'm at $133k in CL with 0% UTL

What's your Closed, Downgraded, Applying and in the Radar! looks like?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed, Downgraded, Applying and in the Radar!

Congrats are closing out the old rebuilders!  I go to TJX stores about once a week mostly to peruse the red tag aisle, lol.  Not sure the 5% rewards would matter on my $1.50 yellow tag almond flour purchase.

Closing out the AF cards makes sense, too -- if you aren't putting enough spend through them, what's the point?  Still uncertain about the Amex MR cards -- I just don't fly premium class carriers enough to justify any of those cards, so once I'm in with Amex, I'll probably stick to BCP and skip the Green/Gold/Platinum/Rust/Sewage MR cards.

Why'd you downgrade Barclay versus chopping them entirely?  Any benefits to the downgraded card on your spend patterns?

Uber Visa looks interesting if those spend categories work for you.

US Bank Cash+ should still be useful even without the SUB if you can nail those 5% categories that aren't covered elsewhere, but I would probably ragequit them too if they didn't apply a SUB they promised.

Message 2 of 23
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

Good job on trimming the fat on your credit profile. I have been closing a few my cards myself, last being my Marriott since the AF was about to hit. I haven’t done much travel this year to warrant the AF.

Next on the chopping block for me is my discover miles. I am waiting for my double points promo to end and I will combine that Credit line into my Discover It card. Funny thing about the cards my Discover It I opened first just about 3 years ago as a grad student and I got a starting limit of $500. It sits at $5000 now. But I was approved for my miles card in January 2017 with a starting credit line of $20,000. Go figure. Anyhow, looking to combine those limits at some point. And I think that’s it for now, thinking about closing my BOA cash rewards, haven’t found much use for it. Or I may pc it to something else.

And sorry to hear about your experience with US Bank. It’s a shame your experience has not been as great. I guess I am lucky as I have had a great experience with them so far. *knock on wood...

Oh and I don’t have any cards that are on my radar, maybe the chase sapphire reserve if they have a good promo in the future
Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats are closing out the old rebuilders!  I go to TJX stores about once a week mostly to peruse the red tag aisle, lol.  Not sure the 5% rewards would matter on my $1.50 yellow tag almond flour purchase. LOL, i go to JcPenney, that is why i'm keeping that card.

Closing out the AF cards makes sense, too -- if you aren't putting enough spend through them, what's the point? Exactly! Still uncertain about the Amex MR cards -- I just don't fly premium class carriers enough to justify any of those cards, so once I'm in with Amex, I'll probably stick to BCP and skip the Green/Gold/Platinum/Rust/Sewage MR cards. At one point i had the Platinum and PRG, only for the rewards.

Why'd you downgrade Barclay versus chopping them entirely?  Any benefits to the downgraded card on your spend patterns? I didn't close it because it is one of my oldest, so for the AAOA.  Also, if i get deny for the Uber Visa, i want to use the Barclay as hostate (lol) to maybe have them move some credit around should they don't want to give me more credit.

Uber Visa looks interesting if those spend categories work for you. Yes, and also becuase of the phone insurance for my iphone 8.

US Bank Cash+ should still be useful even without the SUB if you can nail those 5% categories that aren't covered elsewhere, but I would probably ragequit them too if they didn't apply a SUB they promised. Yup, it will be gone if they don't honor the offer.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@irunfromcredit wrote:
Good job on trimming the fat (lol) on your credit profile. I have been closing a few my cards myself, last being my Marriott since the AF was about to hit. I haven’t done much travel this year to warrant the AF.

Next on the chopping block for me is my discover miles. I am waiting for my double points promo to end and I will combine that Credit line into my Discover It card ( I didnt know you can combine miles card with it card?). Funny thing about the cards my Discover It I opened first just about 3 years ago as a grad student and I got a starting limit of $500. It sits at $5000 now. But I was approved for my miles card in January 2017 with a starting credit line of $20,000. Go figure (it seems that a lot of banks do that, rather give you a new higher limit card than a CL). Anyhow, looking to combine those limits at some point. And I think that’s it for now, thinking about closing my BOA cash rewards, haven’t found much use for it. Or I may pc it to something else.

And sorry to hear about your experience with US Bank. It’s a shame your experience has not been as great. I guess I am lucky as I have had a great experience with them so far. *knock on wood...

Oh and I don’t have any cards that are on my radar, maybe the chase sapphire reserve if they have a good promo in the future (same here!!) plus i'm way over the 5/24 so i need to wait regardless.

Message 5 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Closing

Prestige once I get my 2018 airfare credit, if I get CSR. Retention or card improvement could change this.

Downgrading

CSP to FU soon. I considered PCing to CSR, but I have an AU who uses the card (just not enough to justify the AU fee).

Maybe applying / on the radar

CSR or Ink Preferred. Currently 4/24.

Aviator, or anything with a nice fat airline bonus

c00mtg, if you're unhappy with your Costco membership, you can get a partial refund. The Costco CC itself has no AF.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What's your Closed, Downgraded, Applying and in the Radar! looks like?

Only thing for sure that is closing will be my Virgin America VS, and obvioulsly that is not my choice.

On my radar was the Cathay Pacific card, but I procastinated and now the 50k SUB has passed. Maybe if it returns I'll apply.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Closing

Prestige once I get my 2018 airfare credit, if I get CSR. Retention or card improvement could change this.

Downgrading

CSP to FU soon. FU sounds good to me, i'm not a fan of category cards.  I considered PCing to CSR, but I have an AU who uses the card (just not enough to justify the AU fee).  Yeah, better to apply when the bonus goes up to 100,000 again.

Aviator, or anything with a nice fat airline bonus  You're the first i hear who wants to appy for Barclay, some people do not like Barclay lol

c00mtg, if you're unhappy with your Costco membership, you can get a partial refund. The Costco CC itself has no AF.  Are you sure, i thought (since the card was with AMEX) there was an annual fee on the card but it was waived if you had a costco memembership?  is this not the case with the Citi Costco?

Message 8 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Closing

Downgrading

CSP to FU soon. FU sounds good to me, i'm not a fan of category cards.  I considered PCing to CSR, but I have an AU who uses the card (just not enough to justify the AU fee).  Yeah, better to apply when the bonus goes up to 100,000 again. That would be wonderful, but is generally considered unlikely - at least not without some sort of nerf or UR devaluation. This game changes constantly, so while 100k was originally intended to be a temporary promo to make the card popular (a goal accomplished in spades, just not with the intended crowd) Chase may bring it back.

Aviator, or anything with a nice fat airline bonus  You're the first i hear who wants to appy for Barclay, some people do not like Barclay lol I don't push my luck with a ton of CLIs and new accounts (I may in the future) and I have enough other credit. I've a bit over three years of history with Barclaycard and never had AA. i'm mostly interested in the miles, anyway.

*Barclaycard comes in and out of fashion on here. A lot of people swear they'll never use or get a card from them again...only to start threads a few months (or weeks or days) later about their new account or great offer for a BT or extra rewards.

c00mtg, if you're unhappy with your Costco membership, you can get a partial refund. The Costco CC itself has no AF.  Are you sure, i thought (since the card was with AMEX) there was an annual fee on the card but it was waived if you had a costco memembership?  is this not the case with the Citi Costco? Just because a card was once an Amex doesn't mean much. There are several no-AF cards from Amex: ED, BCE, Delta Blue, one of the Hilton cards. TrueEarnings never had an AF. That said, a Costco membership is required to have the Costco Anywhere card. When I PCed from AA Platinum to Citi Costco, the first thing the Citi CSR asked for was my Costco membership number. The online application for Costco Anywhere asks for a Costco memnership number in the first line and says, "You must have an active Costco membership in your name. We may cancel your Card Account and participation in this program if you do not maintain your Costco membership. You must maintain your Costco membership to redeem Costco Cash Rewards earned with the Card."

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Umm, I will have to call Citi and find out more on this. We don't shop at Costco as much, maybe once every three months. Can't justify paying the $60 (downgraded from the $120 Executive), if I can close my membership and get most of those $60 back and no AF on Citi Card, that would be nice!
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.