Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Pentagon CC

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Closed Pentagon CC

Card was cloned last October so I was forced to close it and Pentagon had to reissue another card with a new number. I unfortunately took a new account hit at the time. The card is closed yet it is still reporting as open with date of last October as last activity. Pentagon tells me they are reporting it as closed but both EX and EQ are still picking this card up as an open credit account on my FICO reports. How many times can I ask Pentagon to report this account as closed?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed Pentagon CC

What exactly is cloning a credit card? Is an entire duplicate card issued?
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Someone used my card for a small test purchase on the internet ($10) with the intention of running it up. I imagine someone in a restaurant grabbed the card number so I had to close it. I am OCD about all my accounts and check them at least twice daily. Paid off in this case. While I am not responsible I don't want my issuers to take the hit for ID theft.
Message 3 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Someone used my card for a small test purchase on the internet ($10) with the intention of running it up. I imagine someone in a restaurant grabbed the card number so I had to close it. I am OCD about all my accounts and check them at least twice daily. Paid off in this case. While I am not responsible I don't want my issuers to take the hit for ID theft.

I can't blame you. Such a small balance to worry about.

That's actually something I've thought about before. When I give someone my CC at a restaurant, they have access to my CC number, expiration date, and verification number thing on the back. There would also be like no way to prove it was them. Quite the predicament.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

I can't blame you. Such a small balance to worry about.

That's actually something I've thought about before. When I give someone my CC at a restaurant, they have access to my CC number, expiration date, and verification number thing on the back. There would also be like no way to prove it was them. Quite the predicament.

For situations like this, that's when it's good to have a card with killer customer support, like AmEx and Discover. Yes, they can be awful about CLD's and other fun things (everyone knows how wary I am of AmEx), but they have a great track record of backing up their customers in cases of fraud and theft.

One of our members here has about 5 different AmEx cards, as I recall, and uses the green card only for online purchases, just because of the customer backup in case of problems.

Last year in our area, there was a rash of stolen debit card info and fraudulent charges. It was so bad that the bank involved had to re-issue new cards three times. It turned out to be a worker at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. He emptied out quite a few checking accounts in the the process. Yes, it was all covered, but what a PITA in the meantime.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Penfed didn't pay the charge either. I am sure American Express would have canceled a compromised account as well. So would any issuer I have I imagine even lowly Juniper.
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sorry for the TJ -

What does PenFed say when you tell them that it's still showing as open? Sounds to me like there are two different locations where they need to update status, and they did so on one, but not the other, and it's the other location that reports. (Not that I have a clue how any of this would work.)

Did they tell you why they wouldn't report the replacement card with the original's opening date? I'm surprised by that; I thought that was SOP for every card issuer.

On another post, a member said that their CCC screwed up the security on their card, issued a replacement card, reported both, with the original showing as lost or stolen, and the member took a score hit for the "lost or stolen" designation. Did that happen to you too?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Sorry for the TJ -

What does PenFed say when you tell them that it's still showing as open? Sounds to me like there are two different locations where they need to update status, and they did so on one, but not the other, and it's the other location that reports. (Not that I have a clue how any of this would work.)

Did they tell you why they wouldn't report the replacement card with the original's opening date? I'm surprised by that; I thought that was SOP for every card issuer.

On another post, a member said that their CCC screwed up the security on their card, issued a replacement card, reported both, with the original showing as lost or stolen, and the member took a score hit for the "lost or stolen" designation. Did that happen to you too?

No TJ. They show all the history off the old card on the new and claim they report the card as closed. TU wiped any history of the old card and just report the new from the original date of the old card but EQ and EX show the closed card as open. They told me to dispute with the CRA. Not going to do that and risk losing all history.
Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita
Moved:

LYNN47's post has been moved to start its own thread. Thread title: Scores needed for Discover and Chase

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.