Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,831
Registered: ‎04-20-2007
0

Closed Pentagon CC

Card was cloned last October so I was forced to close it and Pentagon had to reissue another card with a new number. I unfortunately took a new account hit at the time. The card is closed yet it is still reporting as open with date of last October as last activity. Pentagon tells me they are reporting it as closed but both EX and EQ are still picking this card up as an open credit account on my FICO reports. How many times can I ask Pentagon to report this account as closed?
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Re: Closed Pentagon CC

What exactly is cloning a credit card? Is an entire duplicate card issued?
Here we go again...
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,831
Registered: ‎04-20-2007
0

Re: Closed Pentagon CC



FretlessMayhem wrote:
What exactly is cloning a credit card? Is an entire duplicate card issued?


Someone used my card for a small test purchase on the internet ($10) with the intention of running it up. I imagine someone in a restaurant grabbed the card number so I had to close it. I am OCD about all my accounts and check them at least twice daily. Paid off in this case. While I am not responsible I don't want my issuers to take the hit for ID theft.
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Re: Closed Pentagon CC



smallfry wrote:


FretlessMayhem wrote:
What exactly is cloning a credit card? Is an entire duplicate card issued?


Someone used my card for a small test purchase on the internet ($10) with the intention of running it up. I imagine someone in a restaurant grabbed the card number so I had to close it. I am OCD about all my accounts and check them at least twice daily. Paid off in this case. While I am not responsible I don't want my issuers to take the hit for ID theft.




I can't blame you. Such a small balance to worry about.

That's actually something I've thought about before. When I give someone my CC at a restaurant, they have access to my CC number, expiration date, and verification number thing on the back. There would also be like no way to prove it was them. Quite the predicament.
Here we go again...
Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Closed Pentagon CC


FretlessMayhem wrote:

I can't blame you. Such a small balance to worry about.

That's actually something I've thought about before. When I give someone my CC at a restaurant, they have access to my CC number, expiration date, and verification number thing on the back. There would also be like no way to prove it was them. Quite the predicament.


For situations like this, that's when it's good to have a card with killer customer support, like AmEx and Discover. Yes, they can be awful about CLD's and other fun things (everyone knows how wary I am of AmEx), but they have a great track record of backing up their customers in cases of fraud and theft.

One of our members here has about 5 different AmEx cards, as I recall, and uses the green card only for online purchases, just because of the customer backup in case of problems.

Last year in our area, there was a rash of stolen debit card info and fraudulent charges. It was so bad that the bank involved had to re-issue new cards three times. It turned out to be a worker at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. He emptied out quite a few checking accounts in the the process. Yes, it was all covered, but what a PITA in the meantime.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,831
Registered: ‎04-20-2007
0

Re: Closed Pentagon CC

Penfed didn't pay the charge either. I am sure American Express would have canceled a compromised account as well. So would any issuer I have I imagine even lowly Juniper.
Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Closed Pentagon CC

Sorry for the TJ -

What does PenFed say when you tell them that it's still showing as open? Sounds to me like there are two different locations where they need to update status, and they did so on one, but not the other, and it's the other location that reports. (Not that I have a clue how any of this would work.)

Did they tell you why they wouldn't report the replacement card with the original's opening date? I'm surprised by that; I thought that was SOP for every card issuer.

On another post, a member said that their CCC screwed up the security on their card, issued a replacement card, reported both, with the original showing as lost or stolen, and the member took a score hit for the "lost or stolen" designation. Did that happen to you too?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,831
Registered: ‎04-20-2007
0

Re: Closed Pentagon CC



haulingthescoreup wrote:
Sorry for the TJ -

What does PenFed say when you tell them that it's still showing as open? Sounds to me like there are two different locations where they need to update status, and they did so on one, but not the other, and it's the other location that reports. (Not that I have a clue how any of this would work.)

Did they tell you why they wouldn't report the replacement card with the original's opening date? I'm surprised by that; I thought that was SOP for every card issuer.

On another post, a member said that their CCC screwed up the security on their card, issued a replacement card, reported both, with the original showing as lost or stolen, and the member took a score hit for the "lost or stolen" designation. Did that happen to you too?


No TJ. They show all the history off the old card on the new and claim they report the card as closed. TU wiped any history of the old card and just report the new from the original date of the old card but EQ and EX show the closed card as open. They told me to dispute with the CRA. Not going to do that and risk losing all history.
Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Closed Pentagon CC

LYNN47's post has been moved to start its own thread. Thread title: Scores needed for Discover and Chase

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.