Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Walmart Store Card

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

Closed Walmart Store Card

Earlier i finally decided to Close my Walmart Store Card!

I haven't used it in almost 6 months and i have all these other credit cards that earn rewards so closing Walmart won't really hurt me, in fact it may help as it will lower my amount of available credit since i have a ton of, and it will stay on my report for 10 years so it's all good!

My only relationship with Synchrony now is Paypal Extras MasterCard, i will find a way to continue to use that since its mastercard i can use it whereever and eventually rack up enough points to cash them in....lol and maybe even ask for another credit increase down the road.

My credit profile has grown since I opened my Walmart Store Card in 2012, and i hope it continutes to grow, i just need to try my hardest to garden what i have and let things age and get somemore nice history on my cards!

Thanks everyone! Smiley Very Happy

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed Walmart Store Card

Good fo you! Are you planning to close anymore accounts?

Message 2 of 9
dstew201
Regular Contributor

Congrats!! I will be doing the same with my Best Buy and PayPal cards soon!!
Message 3 of 9
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Good Job!!! No need to carry death weight around ...

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I cant wait to close mine someday. For now im just chipping away the balance. For some reason, that was one card i spent too foolishly on, early in my building phase. I regret it every month lol. But almost there.

And wally was good the couple time i needed cash. But like you, id rather use my rewards cards now.
Message 5 of 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I'm planning on closing my Walmart store too. I have no use for it, and just had a CLD after not using it for over a year.
Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had thought about keeping my Walmart card open but, a) The interest terms suck.  b) The limit is very low $400 and c) I can use my Discover card for 2% cash back since I'm in the Double Cash Back period for another year. And being rejected for yet another CLI request doesn't help.   

So, Byebye!

Message 7 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had thought about keeping my Walmart card open but, a) The interest terms suck.  b) The limit is very low $400 and c) I can use my Discover card for 2% cash back since I'm in the Double Cash Back period for another year. And being rejected for yet another CLI request doesn't help.   

So, Byebye!

Yes, the interest rate suck, it's not a card on which you want to carry a balance, EXCEPT for the 0% 6-12-18 months for large purchases. I bought a TV on the 0% a couple years ago and they auto CLI'd me from $1200 to $2500 as I paid it down. Then following advice here on MYFico I used Chat to ask for a CLI and got it up to $5k, where it is now. I got Discover in July so I'm also on the Double Rewards for 1 year, so use Discover there regularly, the Cash Back with the first year 0% is a nice perk, but I also use Barclays Rewards MC as it codes my Wallyworld as 2% grocery rewards. I use the Walmar card every couple months for a small purchase to keep it active & Synch happy, that $5k CL is nice to help keep my overall util low with 0% Visa/MC/Discover balances. $400 CL is awfully low for someone with a Discover card, try Chat for a CLI during biz hours while logges into your account, they seem much looser with CLI then who/what ever reviews luv button requests..

My only other store card is Lowes, also $5k CL, and I only use it for 6-12-18 month 0% for large purchases, and as I own my home I do that a couple times a year with home improvement projects..

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my WalMart store card, but it does not get much use since I have the rewards cards. I don't understand why they don't allow the special financing to be used on the website. I can find many more big ticket items on the website that would be worthy of the special financing. I think they are selling themselves short by only allowing the financing to be used in store. I wish it was more like Amazon where you could choose the financing at checkout on the website.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.