Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed a brand new account today - Fingerhut

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Closed a brand new account today - Fingerhut

I should never have opened it in February. Limit $400 and I would never have used it. Was going to leave it open to report but after reading some threads here of peoples accounts being hacked, I decided to close it. I don't want that kind of headache. Their stuff is way overpriced anyway. I have 23 other cards so this is going to be a blip on the radar hopefully. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Re: Closed a brand new account today - Fingerhut

You didn't lose much.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 2 of 8
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Kutuzov wrote:
You didn't lose much.

lol. Agreed. I am thinking of doing the same for Newegg ($800) and Discount Tire ($500). I can't get a CLI on either of them for some reason and I have better cards I can use at both places if the need should arise. They are also only a few months old but I will never use them. I am going to see how this closure effects my CS first since I have never closed an account before. Well, I closed First Premier years ago but never looked at my CR to see how it reacted. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kutuzov wrote:
You didn't lose much.

Agreed... I have been seeing their TV commecials lately.  I don't know if they are new as I just noticed it.  A very annoying commecial if you ask me....

Message 4 of 8
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kutuzov wrote:
You didn't lose much.

Agreed... I have been seeing their TV commecials lately.  I don't know if they are new as I just noticed it.  A very annoying commecial if you ask me....

Yep. The guy was at a loss for words when he got my response for his question "May I ask, why are you closing the account?" I said "Because I can, I have better cards, and your prices suck, no offense. $800 for an Xbox One? I'll never shop there anyway." He was like, uhm.. well ok! 

I wasn't mean about it, just honest. Can't be mad at them since I am the dope who app'd it in the first place. Glad I never bought anything from them.

Updated 1-25-18
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL (Because I can) thats a good one have to remember that

Message 6 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I've never applied with them but occasionally get their catalog in the mail with the big Pre-Approved writing all over the front cover.  I shred the front and back page (depending on where they plaster the pre-approval code) and recycle the rest. 

Message 7 of 8
Septrosh
New Contributor

They've been around for decades. 

I had an account a long time ago. Left it open for AAoA as I didn't need them for credit anymore. Needless to say, as previously mentioned, my account was hacked - Discovered due to monitoring my credit report. Smiley Happy

You made a good choice. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.