Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed a rebuilder but...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed a rebuilder but...

Account still showing up online....  I've never closed an account before so I'm not sure what should happen exactly. Basically what I've done so far is called CreditOne and verified that my account balance was 0 and asked for the account to be closed at consumer's request. They said ok (after offering to waive fees for 3 months and other such stuffs) and the phone call was then over. I understand it not reflecting on the credit reports quickly, but upon signing in to the creditonebank website I still see my old 800 credit limit and 0 balance. The only reason I'm worried is that the statement cuts on the 18th and I'd rather not be charged the monthly fee and then have the account close right after that, therefore showing a balance on a closed card. I wouldn't put it past them though... this is the company that will never report a 0 balance after all.

Is there a number I can call to talk to some-one in the U.S.? While no-one has been rude or anything on the helpline I feel like things can some-times be lost in translation.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed a rebuilder but...

accounts i have closed have still shown up on the creditor's website for more than 30 days.  probably nothing to worry about as long as now new charges show up.
Message 2 of 6
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Save a screen shot of your account as it is now with 0 balance.

Then do keep checking; and if they do charge for another month, you have that time to protest and pay if necessary.

However, it is always good to follow your phone call with registered mail. If you check you will find that the TOS says you must close the account in writing.

Good luck,

CI

Not2Savvy wrote:

Account still showing up online....  I've never closed an account before so I'm not sure what should happen exactly. Basically what I've done so far is called CreditOne and verified that my account balance was 0 and asked for the account to be closed at consumer's request. They said ok (after offering to waive fees for 3 months and other such stuffs) and the phone call was then over. I understand it not reflecting on the credit reports quickly, but upon signing in to the creditonebank website I still see my old 800 credit limit and 0 balance. The only reason I'm worried is that the statement cuts on the 18th and I'd rather not be charged the monthly fee and then have the account close right after that, therefore showing a balance on a closed card. I wouldn't put it past them though... this is the company that will never report a 0 balance after all.

Is there a number I can call to talk to some-one in the U.S.? While no-one has been rude or anything on the helpline I feel like things can some-times be lost in translation.

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

Screenshot, plus call and request that they send you a letter with today's date, verifying that the account is closed by you with a $0 balance. Then save both the letter and the screenshot.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
+1

Screenshot, plus call and request that they send you a letter with today's date, verifying that the account is closed by you with a $0 balance. Then save both the letter and the screenshot.

This post caught my eye as I am just going through this as well.  I called on 12/28/09, requesting that it be closed.  I printed a screen shot of the web page.  I also sent a polite letter via CMRR to them stating that I wished to have the account closed immediately.

I called back on 1/08/10 and confirmed that the account was closed with a $0 balance.  They haven't reported it closed yet.  I just checked their website and I can still log in with it showing a $0 balance but my previous available credit is still showing too.  My statement date was 01/12, and they did not charge me that monthly fee that they do.

Message 5 of 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I closed my Credit One acct in late November, the same day I was approved for Nationwide.  There was a 2.00 balance (I know what you mean about it being impossible to get that "0" balance!) and the csr said she would waive that...bla bla.  Well, I simply didn't trust that they'd waive it, so I made the $2 payment.  This acct is showing as "closed by credit grantor" (whatever!) with a zero bal.  I can still log into my acct on their site & have a -2.00 balance.  They said they're sending me a check for 2 bucks within 90 days.  I could care less.

They will post the acct closed on your next statement cut & on your reports shortly after.

I was ticked about their yearly fee increase, but as I'd read on another post...every card has it's use for certain people at certain times in their credit journey.  This was a great rebuilder when I couldn't get much else.  4.5 years of perfect history was well worth the yearly fee I had to pay, but now I simply don't need the card any more, so.... 

RIP Credit One.....you served me well. Smiley Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.