Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed account reporting

tag
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Closed account reporting

Is it normal to have a credit card that was closed to continue to report ok every month? Card that was closed in 2006 was last updated 11/11 as good, been closed since 2006. Is this normal?

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: Closed account reporting

I've wondered this too.  I have one I closed in 05 reporting closed but with 0 balance every month.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 2 of 4
Guava
Established Contributor

Closed account will continue to be on your report for ~10 years, and they still contribute to your AAoA

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

@Guava wrote:

Closed account will continue to be on your report for ~10 years, and they still contribute to your AAoA

+ 1 

It's normal. This also helps maintain your AAoA. I think it's a common misconception that the account history is immediately lost once you close a card.  

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.