cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed all cards... when will score bounce back?

tag
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Re: Closed all cards... when will score bounce back?

@rootpooty wrote:

Ive never heard of conditions of approval that you are to close all credit cards.  I can see if you are low income and have way too many credit card accounts open and potential for BK but other than that ive never heard of it.

+1 Congrats on your home!

Message 11 of 15
ireland381
Established Member

The collections are about 4-5 years old at least

I had a cap one card that was open and a us bank card that had been closed for years and almost paid off. Husband had open cap one card and a closed discover card. We had to pay off and close all 4, and now we have no cards at all.
Message 12 of 15
beb86
Valued Contributor

@ireland381 wrote:

I had a cap one card that was open and a us bank card that had been closed for years and almost paid off. Husband had open cap one card and a closed discover card. We had to pay off and close all 4, and now we have no cards at all.

I mean if you think about the positive, the only debt you have is a few small collections and a mortgage...If it has been less than 30 days you may (and I mean a tiny slight chance) be able to reopen the CC accounts. Just make sure there are no crazy provisions in your mortgage that says anything thing about opening CC accounts.

Message 13 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

@ireland381 wrote:

I mean if you think about the positive, the only debt you have is a few small collections and a mortgage...If it has been less than 30 days you may (and I mean a tiny slight chance) be able to reopen the CC accounts. Just make sure there are no crazy provisions in your mortgage that says anything thing about opening CC accounts.

Yes, it seems pretty rare these days to re-open cards but worth a try for sure, especially Discover!  I have seen and heard a whole new Discover that is surpassing American Express SErvice these days... nothing makes me warm inside like a message that says you are being transferred to our Columbus OH call center!

Message 14 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

If either of you had an AMEX card I would try and re-open those cards first because of backdating goodness will kill most of the damage of starting over with no cards. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.