Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed all my AMEX cards .. relieved

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Closed all my AMEX cards .. relieved

After 5 years with AMEX  , and 4 cards with them. I have finally closed all of them.

Something about AMEX did not work for me. Maybe their continuous refusal to increase my limit past the $1000 mark on each card I have with them ( I had 4 cards all sitting at $1000 each).

It's not like I have any bad things on my credit. I have ZERO damage and a score of 690 ( ~ 10 years of history). But something in their corporate thinking process isn't right - I mean come'on .. have a reconsideration line .. let people talk to the underwriter and reason with him/her.

Right now .. Capital One is my best friend. They have awesome cards with great benefits. I never really used AMEX buyer's protection or any of their other perks.

Maybe sometime in the future I will get into AMEX again.

I'm just sharing my thoughts with you .. I'm happy because I got rid of them and not the other way around.

Current Cards:
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closed all my AMEX cards .. relieved

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes one doesnt fit with a certain lender and no reason we cant choose who is best for us. Best of luck with credit choicesSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 34
wasCB14
Super Contributor

A 690 seems pretty low for someone with 10 years of history. Do you have high utilization or something?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 34
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

No .. my CC utilization is 11%. But I have a car loan that's quite big.

Current Cards:
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree, something is killing your score that Amex doesn't like. UTI is aggregate (all cards) AND individual on each credit card. So one card at 90% (or so) is considered maxing out that card even tho overall you're only at 11%  And if you have multiple cards with 31% or more it's only going to hurt the score more. Not sure how auto/installment/LOC play into the score. But if it were me, I'd be going over my reports with a magnifying glass to see what doesn't add up. Best of luck with your other lenders. 

Message 5 of 34
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Agree, something is killing your score that Amex doesn't like. UTI is aggregate (all cards) AND individual on each credit card. So one card at 90% (or so) is considered maxing out that card even tho overall you're only at 11%  And if you have multiple cards with 31% or more it's only going to hurt the score more. Not sure how auto/installment/LOC play into the score. But if it were me, I'd be going over my reports with a magnifying glass to see what doesn't add up. Best of luck with your other lenders. 

That's the problem .. there isn't a thing killing my score as in late payments or anything. Before I closed all my cards, everytime I requested an increase the denial reason stated  "our internal score of your credit". If they consider installment loans, then yes I do have a rather large installment loan that is recent.

Current Cards:
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get it, sometimes you just dont mesh.  I have no issue with Amex, but I cant get Citi to give me a decent credit line.  What cracks me up is they send me BT offers for this CL and they arent even offering 0%.      Guess there is something in my profile they dont like.

Message 7 of 34
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get it, sometimes you just dont mesh.  I have no issue with Amex, but I cant get Citi to give me a decent credit line.  What cracks me up is they send me BT offers for this CL and they arent even offering 0%.      Guess there is something in my profile they dont like.

Sorry OP

I agree with Myrwyn. However I love Amex but I HATE YES HATE Discover AZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel the same way as you OP but to Discover lol

Message 8 of 34
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

something else has to be holding your scores down with a strong AAoA regardless of a big car loan.. If you have an installment loan (car loan) and no missed payments and low utilization and various other CC's and a decent credit history your scores should be in the 750-800 range.  Have you actually pulled your report/reports lately?  690ish is . still an ok score for AMEX back when I had a 670 score I got a 25k CL with them..  Could be your income or your overall DTI as well.. Granted the scores you listed with what you have still don't quite make sense.

Message 9 of 34
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

something else has to be holding your scores down with a strong AAoA regardless of a big car loan.. If you have an installment loan (car loan) and no missed payments and low utilization and various other CC's and a decent credit history your scores should be in the 750-800 range.  Have you actually pulled your report/reports lately?  690ish is . still an ok score for AMEX back when I had a 670 score I got a 25k CL with them..  Could be your income or your overall DTI as well..  Grnted the scores you listed with what you have still dont quite make sense.

+1 Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.