Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed for low activity??

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Closed for low activity??

Anyone had any accounts closed for inactivity? Almost tempted to apply for something like Priority Select which gives me 4 free nights at Holiday Inn first year sign on bonus, has 0% foreign transaction fees and best part is you get a free night every year... I'm just debating on a sock drawer card and using it every once in a while for like a pack of cigarettes to keep it active =x

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

Re: Closed for low activity??

I have not used my CreditOne card for months and it's still open. Also my parents have a green Amex from 1990 I believe and have not used it from getting a PRG in 2010 that I was able to talk them into as I also had the green and get many more points with the PRG. It's still open in good standing.

Message 2 of 5
distantarray
Established Contributor

@twelfthjoe2 wrote:

I have not used my CreditOne card for months and it's still open. Also my parents have a green Amex from 1990 I believe and have not used it from getting a PRG in 2010 that I was able to talk them into as I also had the green and get many more points with the PRG. It's still open in good standing.

big difference between subprime card like CreditOne which doesn't offer anything, and Charge cards which has an Annual Fee.

The rooms at Holiday Inn Express etc run over $120 a night here usually, so the $49 annual fee is fine, i'll get a free hotel stay every year + 4 for the first year. I dunno after my garden is bloosomed a lot i might go this route to never pay for a hotel room lol

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I've had cards closed for inactivity. It varies by lender how long they will let it go, and lenders were behaving differently than they had previously the past few years. No experience with that card specifically. I think the general rule of thumb is use it once every three months to be safe. Can likely get away with 6 months on most cards.

Easiest thing to do is put one of your small recurring monthly charges on it and set up autopay. So let it pay Netflix, a CMS, Internet, etc.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

It'a usually years before a creditor will take action. I was concerned my Walmart Discover card would be closed b/c I've had the card for two months and it has NO activity. I'm trying to figure out what I should charge to it just to say its HAD activity. Maybe charge something like a few bucks or so. I really only have it for the free FICO. Lol.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.