Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed most CCs in 1999...fear of Y2K

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed most CCs in 1999...fear of Y2K

So, in 1999 I closed most of my CCs. Smiley Sad Party due to fear of Y2K computer panic.  LOL  Party due to a little ocd where I thought it would be 'cleaner' to have fewer cards.  Smiley Wink

Now, I'm learning about Fico scores. 

I've read about how to ASK for a account to be reopened. 

My question is...how do I FIND the accounts? 

Most important was a CC I opened in college.  It would go back to 1989 and would be my oldest.

Thanks for you thoughts. 
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed most CCs in 1999...fear of Y2K

Have you pulled your reports? If they were closed less than 10 (or is it 7?) years ago, the account TL should still be on all the CRs.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just Experian. 

I guess I should get the other 2.  Maybe I'll be in luck.

I closed them apx. 9 years ago.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah partial account numbers should still be on your reports, IDK about opening a card back up that was closed 9 years ago though!! lol
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

fender wrote:
Yeah partial account numbers should still be on your reports, IDK about opening a card back up that was closed 9 years ago though!! lol

LOL  I guess that shows how new I am here.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously, if you ask the worst the issuer can say is no. What companies were the accounts with? Some companies, such as American Express, will allow you to open a new account with the old open date.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

MCYDSNB =  Macy's card opened in 1990.  Closed in 1999.  Dept Store National Bank???

I have another major CC from when I was 20.  I'm 40 now.  It would be my oldest.  I haven't found it yet.  Just started looking this weekend.

All my other CCs are 4-5 years new...since my divorce. 
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well definitely call up and ask. Maybe others can chime in about which CCCs will open up old accounts. Your other good option may be to reapply with some of the cards that will open a new account BUT give you the old date.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy That's a good idea!  I'll write a couple letters. 

Thanks for your thoughts! 
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can't hurt to ask. You might get lucky and find a lender that will do it, but I haven't had any luck with Citi, Discover, or Radio Shack. I'm not even asking BoA. since that one was a CO back in the MBNA days. Smiley Sad

If you get any positive response, be sure and let us know.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.