Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my Cap1 Secured today

tag
YahComb
Established Contributor

Closed my Cap1 Secured today

It had a 1200 limit with 1050 deposited.Too bad they can't put it right back into a cap1 checking account like BOA does if you have checking with them, have to wait for the check to come, and i've read a few nightmare stories of people having to keep calling because 2 months later and they haven't gotten their money back, so i hope i don't have to deal with that.

I know they won't be as speedy as BOA was (my deposit refund got here 8 days after they graduated me) but i hope i can get it before i go off to New York for a few days next month!

Undecided if i am going to keep the Paypal card. It's no fee and it's got growth potential being GECRB, they were first to give me a limit of 2K+ but it is now my least useful card and i'm not sure im up to the task of managing more than 5 or 6 cards

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Closed my Cap1 Secured today

Looks like Cap One did it's job for you.  Good move to close the card and get your money back.  I would keep the pay pal card since it's not costing you any money.

Message 2 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@YahComb wrote:

It had a 1200 limit with 1050 deposited.Too bad they can't put it right back into a cap1 checking account like BOA does if you have checking with them, have to wait for the check to come, and i've read a few nightmare stories of people having to keep calling because 2 months later and they haven't gotten their money back, so i hope i don't have to deal with that.

I know they won't be as speedy as BOA was (my deposit refund got here 8 days after they graduated me) but i hope i can get it before i go off to New York for a few days next month!

Undecided if i am going to keep the Paypal card. It's no fee and it's got growth potential being GECRB, they were first to give me a limit of 2K+ but it is now my least useful card and i'm not sure im up to the task of managing more than 5 or 6 cards

I had to call and ask after the 60 days was up.   They are very slow with it.   

Better plan is to leave a large balance on it when you close it as they paid that off with the deposit in a few weeks.

Message 3 of 11
YahComb
Established Contributor

well, thats not very encouraging. i aleady paid off the 5.30 that was on it before i called to close the account.

Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Message 4 of 11
tburns
Regular Contributor

Ya, Cap1 can be really slow when closing a secured card.

I closed mine last November, on the phone they said it would be refunded 'within' 60 days. After 60 days and no refund I called back and they were "oh, you want a check ok" and it was 2 weeks after that when it arrived.

Message 5 of 11
YahComb
Established Contributor

Well guess i'm just lucky. Got my check for 1049.00 back today. Thought it would take at least a couple weeks.

Capital one being speedy getting someone their money back, surprise of the century?

Newest to Oldest

Message 6 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@YahComb wrote:

Well guess i'm just lucky. Got my check for 1049.00 back today. Thought it would take at least a couple weeks.

Capital one being speedy getting someone their money back, surprise of the century?

It's because they're hoping you'll apply for an unsecured card of theirs now Smiley Very Happy 

Message 7 of 11
YahComb
Established Contributor

LOL i don't even exist to capital one right now. I'm in that grey area for them, i don't need their toy limit starter cards and my credit is too young for their "excellent" no fee stuff. I don't think i've had any offers on their pre-approval since they stopped taking apps for the no-hassle rewards card.

Newest to Oldest

Message 8 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@YahComb wrote:

LOL i don't even exist to capital one right now. I'm in that grey area for them, i don't need their toy limit starter cards and my credit is too young for their "excellent" no fee stuff. I don't think i've had any offers on their pre-approval since they stopped taking apps for the no-hassle rewards card.

You never know. They denied me for their secured card  (Crazy, IKR?), then approved me with 3k for a plat no AF which they PCd to cash rewards (which ended up being my first card) I don't think they have any rhyme or reason to their approvals. 

Message 9 of 11
doc101
Regular Contributor

If I'm approved for a BoA, i'm closing my account with Cap1 as well. Have had the card for over a year, no late payments and can't even get a CLI.......what's  the use in keeping the card if I can't advance?

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.