Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my Secured Cap 1

tag
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

Closed my Secured Cap 1

Card was my first CC after getting my Santander loan in 2011. It served its purpose but 750 limit was not helping me. and the 29 dollar fee was going to hit tonight  " Peggy" said you owe 600 and we have 29 dollars for the partially secured.  I paid the difference and told them I will save you the stamp. " Peggy" actually asked why I was closing it and dont I need that 750 cushion?...  *sighs*  I think I am going to go cry.  Going to try my luck at that Prequal on Chase Freedom and Slate that my home Bank Chase keeps popping up at me.

building since 2011 Wallet:ME: Walmart 3k;Barclays Rewards 10k, Venture 18k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.2k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases , VS 1.75k, BH 1.62k, Express 1.6k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.55k, Roamans 1.4k, Jessica London 1.54k, kings direct 1.7k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.65k, ........ baddies:Fed Tax Lien
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate, Venture, Barclays
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Aarvard
Established Contributor

Re: Closed my Secured Cap 1

They don't do card graduation? 

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 2 of 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

It's kind of a weird feeling isn't it? You are closing it becuase you simply don't have a need for it anymore, and an AF is an AF. On the other hand, it was crucial in your building / rebuilding of credit. I felt the same way closing mine.

One less thing to worry about though.

Message 3 of 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Aarvard wrote:

Negative. If it ever happens it's the exception and not the rule.

Message 4 of 7
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@Aarvard wrote:

Not for their secured cards, unfortunately.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 5 of 7
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@dobirdsmommy wrote:

Card was my first CC after getting my Santander loan in 2011. It served its purpose but 750 limit was not helping me. and the 29 dollar fee was going to hit tonight  " Peggy" said you owe 600 and we have 29 dollars for the partially secured.  I paid the difference and told them I will save you the stamp. " Peggy" actually asked why I was closing it and dont I need that 750 cushion?...  *sighs*  I think I am going to go cry.  Going to try my luck at that Prequal on Chase Freedom and Slate that my home Bank Chase keeps popping up at me.

OP, you did what was necessary for you at this point. Good luck on the Chase apps! Smiley Happy

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 6 of 7
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

Capital one partially secured will never unsecure.   Next will be the DH partially secured.    if the chase prequal is as reliable as everyone says I have two offers in my name.  I bank with them and always keep a nice amount in checking and savings plus a car loan with them.    And only two inquiry's. 

And yes you are right it was bitter sweet.   But it's done 

building since 2011 Wallet:ME: Walmart 3k;Barclays Rewards 10k, Venture 18k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.2k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases , VS 1.75k, BH 1.62k, Express 1.6k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.55k, Roamans 1.4k, Jessica London 1.54k, kings direct 1.7k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.65k, ........ baddies:Fed Tax Lien
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate, Venture, Barclays
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.