Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my Slate

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Closed my Slate

I had a Slate card that I opened up last year to take advantage of the 0%/18mo BT with no BT fee. I used my tax return to pay it off along with a balance on my USAA card.

Since it has no rewards, it was pretty much dead weight in my wallet. I know you're not supposed to close cards because of AAoA and all that but it will still report for 10 years anyway. It's not worth the hassle of keeping it active just for the sake of keeping it open. It served its purpose and it was time for it to go, so I closed it.

I would have PCd it to a Freedom or a Sapphire (the only things you can PC it to) but I already have one of each.

I did however have them redistribute the credit to the other two cards. The Slate was $6k so I had them give $1500 to the Sapphire and $4000 to the Freedom making them both an even $12k. The rep said her system wouldn't let her redistribute the last $500 so it was lost, but that's no big deal.

Would you have done the same?

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Closed my Slate

@LTomBerry wrote:

I had a Slate card that I opened up last year to take advantage of the 0%/18mo BT with no BT fee. I used my tax return to pay it off along with a balance on my USAA card.

Since it has no rewards, it was pretty much dead weight in my wallet. I know you're not supposed to close cards because of AAoA and all that but it will still report for 10 years anyway. It's not worth the hassle of keeping it active just for the sake of keeping it open. It served its purpose and it was time for it to go, so I closed it.

I would have PCd it to a Freedom or a Sapphire (the only things you can PC it to) but I already have one of each.

I did however have them redistribute the credit to the other two cards. The Slate was $6k so I had them give $1500 to the Sapphire and $4000 to the Freedom making them both an even $12k. The rep said her system wouldn't let her redistribute the last $500 so it was lost, but that's no big deal.

Would you have done the same?

Yes, getting rid of a card you won't use is fine.   Some people might have PCd for a second Freedom, as they sometimes max out a category and a second freedom doubles the opportunity.  But if you aren't ever in that situation, then what you did makes sense.

Message 2 of 3
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Re: Closed my Slate

I just did the same thing with my slate. I had 5k on it & 5k on my sapphire. They let me transfer the complete 5k to my sapphire for 10k tottal. I did mine onine through message.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.