cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my Total Rewards credit card after the first attempted purchase. Comenity is irritating

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Closed my Total Rewards credit card after the first attempted purchase. Comenity is irritating

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Moral of the story....

Had someone else used your card for a $600+ purchase, you'd be pissed, and I bet you'd call up angry then. The system found a funky charge on a brand new account, and blocked it. The system worked. Cant be mad at it. 

Don't know.  *I* wouldn't be and maybe the OP wouldn't be either.  It wouldn't be me responsible for the $600+.  

Many years ago (25 or so) someone took my renewal card before I got it, and spent $8K  (and yes, those were the days when $8K was real money!   This was before phone activation from your home phone was the standard)   I wasn't mad, and, as it happens neither was the credit card company as they charged it all back to the merchants for accepting the card before the start date printed on the card

The reason you weren't mad is because the system worked. Had you been stuck with that 8k bill, you'd be pissed. 

I'm just trying to make a point that OP cant be too upset for them putting a fraud alert on his card, because that is how they prevent things like that from happening. 

Message 41 of 48
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Closed my Total Rewards credit card after the first attempted purchase. Comenity is irritating

@jsucool76 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Moral of the story....

Had someone else used your card for a $600+ purchase, you'd be pissed, and I bet you'd call up angry then. The system found a funky charge on a brand new account, and blocked it. The system worked. Cant be mad at it. 

Don't know.  *I* wouldn't be and maybe the OP wouldn't be either.  It wouldn't be me responsible for the $600+.  

Many years ago (25 or so) someone took my renewal card before I got it, and spent $8K  (and yes, those were the days when $8K was real money!   This was before phone activation from your home phone was the standard)   I wasn't mad, and, as it happens neither was the credit card company as they charged it all back to the merchants for accepting the card before the start date printed on the card

The reason you weren't mad is because the system worked. Had you been stuck with that 8k bill, you'd be pissed. 

I'm just trying to make a point that OP cant be too upset for them putting a fraud alert on his card, because that is how they prevent things like that from happening. 

+1 bingo

Message 42 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Moral of the story....

But I'm NOT going to be stuck with the bill because of Federal law, whether or not the CC detects it first.  I don't care if they prevent it happening or not, zero liability means I am not responsible.

Message 43 of 48
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Moral of the story....

But I'm NOT going to be stuck with the bill because of Federal law, whether or not the CC detects it first.  I don't care if they prevent it happening or not, zero liability means I am not responsible.

Just because you're not responsible for it doesn't mean it is an instantly solved problem. I understand what you're saying, but what the OP went through is a normal thing, part of using a credit card. When you're playing with someone elses money, you do it on their terms. End of story. lol 

Message 44 of 48
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Moral of the story....

Correct, but keep in mind that in todays 'connected' society these criminals can hit more than just your credit cards. They could use your good name for other forms of criminal activity and of course the quicker you've been notfied the faster you have to start notification to get all your finances addressed. Any notice helps to protect you.

Message 45 of 48
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I actually understand the OP's fustration completely.. I have a friend that every time EVERY time he tries to make a large purchase, its denied... And its usually the merchant that calls him, NOT the bank (Chase)... Hes pretty much SD'ed his freedom card.. And these are places hes purchased from in the past.. He wouldnt mind half as much if Chase called him and asked to verify his purchases... But lately they have just been denying them and having to initiate calls to Chase every time he buys something other than gas or grocery...

That said. Im pretty convinced that the fraud person wasn't intending on unlocking his card, because he wasn't "specific" enough about his purchases.. plus the sarcasm didn't help the matter... unfortunately CSR's are mostly script kiddies and have no intention on actually helping you if they dont have to.. I would have been irate but said it poltely.. I guess I can't rely on this card to make purchases, perhaps i should use my Amex more often... and sockdrawered it when i got home

Message 46 of 48
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

I actually understand the OP's fustration completely.. I have a friend that every time EVERY time he tries to make a large purchase, its denied... And its usually the merchant that calls him, NOT the bank (Chase)... Hes pretty much SD'ed his freedom card.. And these are places hes purchased from in the past.. He wouldnt mind half as much if Chase called him and asked to verify his purchases... But lately they have just been denying them and having to initiate calls to Chase every time he buys something other than gas or grocery...

That said. Im pretty convinced that the fraud person wasn't intending on unlocking his card, because he wasn't "specific" enough about his purchases.. plus the sarcasm didn't help the matter... unfortunately CSR's are mostly script kiddies and have no intention on actually helping you if they dont have to.. I would have been irate but said it poltely.. I guess I can't rely on this card to make purchases, perhaps i should use my Amex more often... and sockdrawered it when i got home

This happened to me when I tried to purchase a watch for my sister as a birthday present with my cap1 card. It got denied, so I called up and told me it was because of fraud and they had to send me a new card, so they did, but along with that card I also got a $50 statement credit. So I was happy. lol

Message 47 of 48
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

This happened to me when I tried to purchase a watch for my sister as a birthday present with my cap1 card. It got denied, so I called up and told me it was because of fraud and they had to send me a new card, so they did, but along with that card I also got a $50 statement credit. So I was happy. lol

Same here I got held up by Wells Fargo, twice they called I verified answered the questions, they apologized. Done probably took 2 minutes.

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.