cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my Total Rewards credit card after the first attempted purchase. Comenity is irritating

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Closed my Total Rewards credit card after the first attempted purchase. Comenity is irritating

People get all worked about security breaches (Home Depot, Target, etc.) and for the right reasons. Yet, when it comes to verifying specific/questionable transactions on a brand new card to ensure it's not fraudulent the OP is like "I pay my bills so what's it to ya" attidute isn't going to work. Bottom line OP, you forget this is their loan on plastic to you! Therefore, if they need to ensure your account is protected why just not tell them what the transations were... oh wait, unless your transactions were questionable? Hmmmm

+1

Message 31 of 48
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: Closed my Total Rewards credit card after the first attempted purchase. Comenity is irritating

@taxi818 wrote:

People get all worked about security breaches (Home Depot, Target, etc.) and for the right reasons. Yet, when it comes to verifying specific/questionable transactions on a brand new card to ensure it's not fraudulent the OP is like "I pay my bills so what's it to ya" attidute isn't going to work. Bottom line OP, you forget this is their loan on plastic to you! Therefore, if they need to ensure your account is protected why just not tell them what the transations were... oh wait, unless your transactions were questionable? Hmmmm

+1

LOL. Yes, they were. i tried fudging the amount of my transaction at the register. I planned it ahead of time with the cashier.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 32 of 48
IWOL
Established Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

+1

LOL. Yes, they were. i tried fudging the amount of my transaction at the register. I planned it ahead of time with the cashier.

I realize that you are being sarcastic but it makes no difference what you we're buying. Comenity cannot tell from the charge or authorization what you we're purchasing. Some stores have higher level detail like Staples but I don't think Walmart is one of them. 

My guess is that the decline was strictly related to the amount and had nothing to do with what you purchased. I've purchased Visa gift cards on my TR card at grocery stores to earn the 2x points without any trouble.

Message 33 of 48
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:

If I was a CCC, I probably wouldn't have processed the transaction either. Who makes their first purchase that big anyway..?

A lot of people, depending on the card.  Some people get a travel card to make a specific travel purchase, and their first one is big.  I did a big first purchase on my Amex Blue Cash.   Depends on the card, and on your belief (e.g. on the Blue Cash some believe you need to "tune" Amex to your transaction pattern, so start as you mean to go on)

+1 I made a large purchase ($500+) on my BoA at a grocery store and the card was declined because of a fraud alert. I called BoA and verified that it was me that was making the purchase; they didn't ask what I was purchasing and removed the alert. I was then able to go back inside and make the purchase without a problem. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 34 of 48
taxi818
Super Contributor

I think everyone is getting away from the point. yes. he tried to make a large. purchase. but that is still not the point. as it is part of his availble credit.

The main point it was his first use of said. card.

Regardless of purchase amount. many lenders. will put alert on purchase. whenever i used my card first time. ive had to show id. been declined and simply called the lender. to explain it was me making the purchase. it was the same in this. case. But op was thinking he was special and did not have to do this. as he stated.he did not feel like doing this. as he pays all his bills. and most other people also pay their bills. the point is . to allow the lender to verify it is a valid purchase. and he could have easily gotten his items. but he wanted to be a smart AZZ and say what it is to you to the rep. that is trying to verify. she said  well. declined. ooh well guess items in cart were not that important. That is the whole point people

Message 35 of 48
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Over 600 dollars on a card like that? What on Earth were you trying to buy?

Well, I guess that's a good question but I'm leaning toward meeting the minimum rewards spend?  The kicker would be, what specific "form" of transaction(s) triggered their security department to halt the purchase.  From the TR Visa Card's current promotion:

RECEIVE UP TO 10,000 REWARD CREDITS® AS A BONUS2

Use your Total Rewards Visa Card outside of a Total Rewards destination3 on qualifying purchases2 within the first 90 days to earn:

• 5,000 Reward Credits after spending $250
  • An additional 5,000 Reward Credits after spending a total of $750

That's exactly why i even wanted to use the card. I got it almost a week ago and planned i was going to use it today. Go to Walmart, got all my stuff, got to the register, swiped and it was declined twice. I guess you'd like it if i charged $20 transactions to the card.

Sorry I didn't understand the context there. I'd be mad too if that were the case. Don't think closing the card like that was the best idea though. Would have talked to the EO about what happened and if that didn't work, then I'd either SD or close the card then.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 36 of 48
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Moral of the story....

Had someone else used your card for a $600+ purchase, you'd be pissed, and I bet you'd call up angry then. The system found a funky charge on a brand new account, and blocked it. The system worked. Cant be mad at it. 

Message 37 of 48
taxi818
Super Contributor

Why would anyone be mad and that is your first time using card? I expect something like that at first use. I drove from Florida to New York. I was not surprised when I was there thT I hit a decline and text messGe asking if I made thT transaction. I replied yes. Then ran again. Transaction went thru. Why would I be mad at then trying to prevent fraud. Now I would agree. They want you to think they are protecting you. But they are really protecting themselves.
Message 38 of 48
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Everyone is a little too worked up and involved in this post! Just a reminder to everyone to play nice and have a little compassion.

People come here to share their stories, and a few act like the disservice was done to them. So, the OP may have overreacted a little, but haven't we all at one time or another?

OP.... Sometimes Comenity can be understanding, I'd call them back and explain that you were upset and very embarrassed to be declined at the register with a line of people behind you, and you were excited to start using their card! Apologize and ask if there is any way to have the card reinstated. If not then so be it, then if it happens again in the future on another card, just take in a deep breath and answers the security questions appropriately Smiley Happy. Wish you luck and sorry you had a bad experience.
Message 39 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Moral of the story....

Had someone else used your card for a $600+ purchase, you'd be pissed, and I bet you'd call up angry then. The system found a funky charge on a brand new account, and blocked it. The system worked. Cant be mad at it. 

Don't know.  *I* wouldn't be and maybe the OP wouldn't be either.  It wouldn't be me responsible for the $600+.  

Many years ago (25 or so) someone took my renewal card before I got it, and spent $8K  (and yes, those were the days when $8K was real money!   This was before phone activation from your home phone was the standard)   I wasn't mad, and, as it happens neither was the credit card company as they charged it all back to the merchants for accepting the card before the start date printed on the card

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.