cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed on mortgage, got 2 new car loans, apped for a bunch of cards, what to do next?

tag
madnutz
New Contributor

Closed on mortgage, got 2 new car loans, apped for a bunch of cards, what to do next?

Hello all and happy black Friday!!!!! I wanted to get everyones insight on what my next step should be in this neverending credit journey Smiley Happy My ultimate goals are to get into an amex card and also later on start getting approved for higher credit limits, my current highest credit limit is 2k, I want to get into the 10k+ range, on 10/30/2013 I closed on my house and my credit score at that time was 712(fico) here is what I have now

-Current credit score=640

-total revolving accounts=17

-total installment accounts=2 car loans both were recently opened, 1 was to get a refinance and other is brand new car, mortgage hasn't reported yet

-Average account age=1.5 years

-oldest account=3 years 3 months

-Accounts opened within last 6 months=8

Inqs=34 EX, 36 EQ, 10 TU

My plan is to NOT apply for anything for as long as I need too, how long should I wait until I should start to even consider AMEX? should I wait on time or until my score hits a certain range?  Anything else I should do in the meantime?  Like I said, my goal is to get an amex card and also to get other higher limit cards, still have 1 or 2 that are in the 300 dollar range.

Thank you

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Closed on mortgage, got 2 new car loans, apped for a bunch of cards, what to do next?

Garden! Garden! Garden! It will take time for credit file to mature with so many new TLs and inquiries. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 8
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Closed on mortgage, got 2 new car loans, apped for a bunch of cards, what to do next?

I would work with what you have for the next year.  Pay everything on time and keep your UTIL down and don't increase your debt.  Having a mortgage and the auto loans is good for your "credit mix" issue but it kills your debt-to-income ratio.  Those are two things that creditors look at when determining giving an applicant credit or additional credit.  Time will take care of those issues.  Also your INQs are really high.  After a year they won't impact your FICO so much and that's going to help you get better cards with better limits.  You want to an app for an Amex card when you have a STRONG credit profile.  Hope this info helps and good luck!

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 8
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

Garden! Garden! Garden! It will take time for credit file to mature with so many new TLs and inquiries. 

^^^^Agree 100%!

Message 4 of 8
madnutz
New Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

^^^^Agree 100%!

Thank you and everyone for the advice, I just wanted to double check to make sure there wasn't something else I should be doing as i garden it up Smiley Happy so what is the minimum amount of time I should garden for? 1 year? I am a very impatient person Smiley Tongue but I can do it!

Message 5 of 8
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@madnutz wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

^^^^Agree 100%!

Thank you and everyone for the advice, I just wanted to double check to make sure there wasn't something else I should be doing as i garden it up Smiley Happy so what is the minimum amount of time I should garden for? 1 year? I am a very impatient person Smiley Tongue but I can do it!

With so many new TLs and inquiries, yes, 1 yr would be best in your situation.

Message 6 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@madnutz wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

^^^^Agree 100%!

Yes join us in the garden if nothing else you'll get a few laughs!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 8
madnutz
New Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

@madnutz wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

^^^^Agree 100%!

Yes join us in the garden if nothing else you'll get a few laughs!

Off to the garden I go!!! I am wondering if i should stop visiting these forums though Smiley Sad  I don't want to be tempted... Maybe I will just stay out of the credit card approvals area and offer help on anything I can answer in the other sub forums.

Side question: Should I freeze my credit reports? I got scammed recently this year through some company who i thought was a collection agency I owed but was actually not affiliated to the person i thought i was paying, I gave them my social which was a dumb idea on my end... The only concern I have is that my mortgage hasn't report yet, if i freeze my credit, will my mortgage still be able to get added when it starts reporting? also have 1 other TL that hasn't reported yet, or should i just wait to freeze until after those report?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.