Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed out AMEX Green Card!!

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Closed out AMEX Green Card!!

Closed out AMEX Green Card! High AF for what I need and use. Keped my ZYNC card and Hilton Card.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closed out AMEX!!

Good job.. the Amex green blows. lol Edited since you edited. Smiley Happy Neat that you kept the Zync.

Message 2 of 26
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

If you found better products, then congrats.   Everyone's credit journey is unique.  Personally, I've had great experiences with AMEX, but not people do.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@corymcd88 wrote:

It feels so good to close out AMEX! Poor CSR's high fees and high APR much better to get cards from bank that have low APR's like PenFed or a other CU.

NO,NO, NO, it's much better to have no AF Amex cards and to not live beyond your means so you culdn't care less what APR they would charge....  

Message 4 of 26
Jlu
Established Contributor

Although I feel as though OP is being a bit trollish I must say that the customer service of AMEX has been overtaken by Discover in recent years. It used to be that AMEX would move mountains to accomodate your every last wish as long as you were swiping their card. Now it is as though you are bothering them whereas when I call 800-DISCOVER I am immediately connected to a CSR who acts like they want my business.

Good for you OP, I personally would never give up my AMEX as it carries a certain amount of classy satisfaction whenever I say 'charge it to my AMEX' - it's almost as though my ego is a hostage and the annual fee is the ransom money Smiley Happy

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 5 of 26
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Although I feel as though OP is being a bit trollish I must say that the customer service of AMEX has been overtaken by Discover in recent years. It used to be that AMEX would move mountains to accomodate your every last wish as long as you were swiping their card. Now it is as though you are bothering them whereas when I call 800-DISCOVER I am immediately connected to a CSR who acts like they want my business.

Good for you OP, I personally would never give up my AMEX as it carries a certain amount of classy satisfaction whenever I say 'charge it to my AMEX' - it's almost as though my ego is a hostage and the annual fee is the ransom money Smiley Happy

Totally unrelated you still have the JP Select aren't they eventually switching that card to the CSP? 

Message 6 of 26
Jlu
Established Contributor

^Indeed that is what Chase Private Client told me when I last spoke to them. They are trying to sell me on the Palladium if I agree to move all my assets and allow them to charge me outrageous fees for 'wealth management'. I'm sort of riding it out and seeing if they'll buy me out - perhaps I'll agree to close the card in exchange for a large amount of UR points heheheh

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 26
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Just tell them you are considering, get the application get approved and then don't invest. Or you can have your money in there accounts and say you are trying to decide on to invest or not, it doesn't matter.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 26
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Jlu what's the downside of moving funds over to CPC with and get the Palladium? All your ducks in one pond? Can one obtain the Palladium moving the funds and then move funds out afterwards? Does the Palladium require you to keep said funds as a condition of the having the card?
Message 9 of 26
Jlu
Established Contributor

^ The downside is that I would need to take literally every penny out of every account I control to even qualify for the card. I was only told that I could get in with $10M, which is doable, but not wise. That liquidity can be put to work flipping more tech start-ups rather than sitting in a JPMorgan vault while they suck out their fees. All for a card? ...They say there are less than 5,000 Palladium's in circulation - less than Centurion. Perhaps there's a reason?

I do not feel as though I qualify for what Bloomberg has dubbed "the card for the 1% of the 1%" considering I could hardly qualify for a Cap1 Mastercard a few years ago. They did make mention of a PC to the Ritz-Carlton card in lieu of extending my CSP's CL to $20k. Frankly I have more credit than I could possibly use at the moment and I'm more or less collecting cards for purposes of status.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.