Did you mean: 

Closed the SPG card

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Closed the SPG card

@red259 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

red259:  What kinds of itineraries have you been flying that necessitate an overnight stay at the Frankfurt airport?  I used to be an international road warrior, and I connected frequently through Frankfurt on both the outbound and homeward journeys, but I never stayed overnight in Frankfurt -- unless I had business in Frankfurt, and then I stayed downtown.

The only SQ suites flight from FRA to JFK leaves around 8:30am. For the past two years I have made trips to Europe where the I would fly SQ in suites or LH in F and have to connect through frankfurt. There was no way for me to make a connecting flight into FRA that early in the morning and still make my flight, so what I typically do is fly in the day/night before and stay at the Sheraton at the airport. I'll usually head in to town, but I just like waking up in the morning and just making a simple walk across the street into the terminal vs having to worry about getting a cab etc. 

Ahh.... I had forgotten about SQ and its early flight.  Until 2013 I was always traveling for the US Govt, so I was required to fly US carriers across the Atlantic, and they all left later in the day, allowing time for a connection from other European cities.  Since retiring, I have flown Lufthansa, and they fly later in the day, too.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 11 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

red259:  What kinds of itineraries have you been flying that necessitate an overnight stay at the Frankfurt airport?  I used to be an international road warrior, and I connected frequently through Frankfurt on both the outbound and homeward journeys, but I never stayed overnight in Frankfurt -- unless I had business in Frankfurt, and then I stayed downtown.

The only SQ suites flight from FRA to JFK leaves around 8:30am. For the past two years I have made trips to Europe where the I would fly SQ in suites or LH in F and have to connect through frankfurt. There was no way for me to make a connecting flight into FRA that early in the morning and still make my flight, so what I typically do is fly in the day/night before and stay at the Sheraton at the airport. I'll usually head in to town, but I just like waking up in the morning and just making a simple walk across the street into the terminal vs having to worry about getting a cab etc. 

Ahh.... I had forgotten about SQ and its early flight.  Until 2013 I was always traveling for the US Govt, so I was required to fly US carriers across the Atlantic, and they all left later in the day, allowing time for a connection from other European cities.  Since retiring, I have flown Lufthansa, and they fly later in the day, too.

Yea I would have flown back on LH since I like later in the day flights by far but since I was using SQ miles to book on LH costs much more in terms on fuel surcharges+ taxes etc than SQ metal. I really dislike early morning flights. I had one recently from Montenegro into Rome where the flight boarded at 730am and because I was staying in a different city I had to grab a transport that left at like 445am, so I had to get up and be ready to go by 430am. It was a rough day. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

After a lot of soul searching I closed my SPG card. It was by far the hardest closure I have had to make for some reason. I had this particular SPG card for the past two years and a different one for a year prior to that. My AF was the lower rate of $65, however I closed it for a couple of reasons. 1. It didn't fit in with my spend patterns. Yes I had some recurring charges on there but at one point my SPG card got all my non-bonus spend. However, I now have an amex business card that gives me 2 pts on all spend and a bonus at the end of the year, so I come out ahead in terms of earning on non-cat spend with that. 2. I have the CSR which i prefer using to pay for marriott stays.

3. This was a version of the card which gives lounge access when staying at sheratons. I liked that feature but other than staying at the sheraton at the frankfurt airport one night a year I never really use it and besides I have status with marriott and hilton if I really want lounge access. 4. My SPG account is down to only a few thousand points. I'm nowhere near 20k points and wouldn't be getting anywhere close to that for years so there is no need to top off the spg account to get the transfer bonus. 5. Finally, I was at my max with amex revolvers and I have decided to go for a delta business card due to the increased signup offers, so I needed to close a revolver and this was the only card I had which wasn't serving some other purpose. Still I feel a bit depressed that I had to say goodbye to it. In a few days I will need to decide if I am going to close my citi premier card or if they will give me a retention offer that will make that card worth holding on to for two years. 

Are you talking about the Blue Business Plus card? 

That card is amazing, 12.24% APR if you have great credit, 0% interest for 15 months, 2x MR points on all purchases up to $50,000/year. 

I can see why you'd rather transfer, say, 2x MR/$1 earned to Delta rather than 1x SPG /$1 earned + 5,000 bonus points for every 20,000 points transferred. 

Message 13 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

After a lot of soul searching I closed my SPG card. It was by far the hardest closure I have had to make for some reason. I had this particular SPG card for the past two years and a different one for a year prior to that. My AF was the lower rate of $65, however I closed it for a couple of reasons. 1. It didn't fit in with my spend patterns. Yes I had some recurring charges on there but at one point my SPG card got all my non-bonus spend. However, I now have an amex business card that gives me 2 pts on all spend and a bonus at the end of the year, so I come out ahead in terms of earning on non-cat spend with that. 2. I have the CSR which i prefer using to pay for marriott stays.

3. This was a version of the card which gives lounge access when staying at sheratons. I liked that feature but other than staying at the sheraton at the frankfurt airport one night a year I never really use it and besides I have status with marriott and hilton if I really want lounge access. 4. My SPG account is down to only a few thousand points. I'm nowhere near 20k points and wouldn't be getting anywhere close to that for years so there is no need to top off the spg account to get the transfer bonus. 5. Finally, I was at my max with amex revolvers and I have decided to go for a delta business card due to the increased signup offers, so I needed to close a revolver and this was the only card I had which wasn't serving some other purpose. Still I feel a bit depressed that I had to say goodbye to it. In a few days I will need to decide if I am going to close my citi premier card or if they will give me a retention offer that will make that card worth holding on to for two years. 

Are you talking about the Blue Business Plus card? 

That card is amazing, 12.24% APR if you have great credit, 0% interest for 15 months, 2x MR points on all purchases up to $50,000/year. 

I can see why you'd rather transfer, say, 2x MR/$1 earned to Delta rather than 1x SPG /$1 earned + 5,000 bonus points for every 20,000 points transferred. 

No I am talking about the card that the business plus replaced. In the long run the business plus is a better card though which is why I will change my card to that after I get my annual bonus. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.