cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing 3 credit cards at once? Effect on score?

tag
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Re: Closing 3 credit cards at once? Effect on score?

I plan to axe my Citi Forward and my Banana Republic as soon as I can get at least an 800 dollar and 700 increase on two of my bigger cards at some point in the future, as a type of offset. Not in a rush for that though. Those 2 are collecting dust in the safe as well.

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 11 of 28
USF813
Frequent Contributor

As long as it doesn't affect your utilization too much, I don't see a problem. I closed my Best Buy store card yesterday. Never use the thing and didn't really care for the low limit.

Message 12 of 28
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Yeah definitely. I pay my bills on the 1st of every month, so that should help lower the Util even a little bit further. I'll close them after those payments post.

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 13 of 28
AMTB
Valued Member

did just that, then went on app spree. all of the app were approved CL more than double of all 3 cards I cancelled.

Message 14 of 28
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Mj
You misunderstood Bluepoodle completely. The idea is try to get a cli on the cards your keeping to conteract the utilization change that will occur by closing the cards your axing... not get a cli on cards your closing! You want to try to up Cli preferably soft pulls on prime cards, then axe the unwanted....
Message 15 of 28
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

I just got approved for the Wells Fargo Card on Monday, with a 2500 limit. Haven't rang up a charge on it yet. Won't that offset it, since its limit is 1,500 dollars higher than the combined limit of the 3 cards I want to close?

Message 16 of 28
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:
Mj
You misunderstood Bluepoodle completely. The idea is try to get a cli on the cards your keeping to conteract the utilization change that will occur by closing the cards your axing... not get a cli on cards your closing! You want to try to up Cli preferably soft pulls on prime cards, then axe the unwanted....

Yep--that would be the best strategy.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 17 of 28
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@mjb59463 wrote:

I just got approved for the Wells Fargo Card on Monday, with a 2500 limit. Haven't rang up a charge on it yet. Won't that offset it, since its limit is 1,500 dollars higher than the combined limit of the 3 cards I want to close?

Yes and no. You'll get a ding for the New TL on your AAoA and the HP.  But yes, CL will help your utilization. Still, if you can get any other cards to get CLI with a sp, seems like that would be a plus too!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 18 of 28
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

What cards would you suggest going after those increases on? Not sure who does SP's for CLI's.

Message 19 of 28
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I have recently closed 3 cards in pretty short order over a couple months time.  I closed MyPoints Visa, Sportsman's Guide Visa, and a QS1 that I was unable to get the AF removed from.  I never should have accepted the Comenity cards and though I regretted having to close Crap1, but it was time.  After closing the cards, my score actually went up a little.  Not sure why.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.