cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing 3 credit cards at once? Effect on score?

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing 3 credit cards at once? Effect on score?

Why did you close Sportsman's Guide with no AF?  Did Comenity get on your bad side?  I'm asking because I just got that one, and even if I hardly ever touch the thing it looks like a good deal to me.  They are handing out limits like candy.  Even if they pull a Duck, the damage is already done.

Message 21 of 28
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

Why did you close Sportsman's Guide with no AF?  Did Comenity get on your bad side?  I'm asking because I just got that one, and even if I hardly ever touch the thing it looks like a good deal to me.  They are handing out limits like candy.  Even if they pull a Duck, the damage is already done.

No damage was done.  My AAoA was already well toasted and I never got an HP out of it.  I simply got sick of having to try to remember to come up with excuses to use it. 

I'll be doing more pruning before I'm done.  Probably going to be forced to close my last QS1 at the end of the year.  I'm just getting to a point where I want quality over quanitity and I'm sick of dealing with so many cards. 

Message 22 of 28
AMTB
Valued Member

@wacdenney wrote:

@core wrote:

No damage was done.  My AAoA was already well toasted and I never got an HP out of it.  I simply got sick of having to try to remember to come up with excuses to use it. 

I'll be doing more pruning before I'm done.  Probably going to be forced to close my last QS1 at the end of the year.  I'm just getting to a point where I want quality over quanitity and I'm sick of dealing with so many cards. 

yea, I can barely manage 5 card and I have 4. people who can manage more than 7 cards are just computers.

Message 23 of 28
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Yeah, my cards will need to be brought down to 7. Even further once CLI's start happening.
Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 24 of 28
Tony275
Valued Contributor

This site never seizes to amaze me, just when I think I'm in a situation that nobody else would be in, nor understand, I stroll upon a thread like this! Great information and suggestions from everyone!

Might be paying off my Cap1 Platinum with AF and Barclay Apple Financing Visa if I get no love from it. Once I get my other balances down and the inquiries start falling off my reports I'll apply for the Sallie Mae and CSP and eventually AMEX BCE.

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 25 of 28
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@crjusaf wrote:
Also, consider that 'number of accounts with balances' may have an impact on your score. For maximizing score it's generally believed that having 50% or fewer of your accounts showing a balance is best. Having a few extra accounts with a 0 balance certainly won't hurt.

That being said, if managing your accounts is becoming overwhelming closing them may be a great choice!

+1

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed: (2) HSBC Cards, (2) Cap1 Bus Cards, (4) Cap1 Cards, (2) Wells Fargo Cards, (2) Barclay Cards, (1) Aspire Card, and (1) BoA. Did not use the cards and not prime CLs or Aprs. Effect on my CBs was a slight increase in score and owed $0 dollars so utilization was not a problem. AAoA slight impact but offset by reduction in potential outstanding debt. Closed over a two year period. Replaced with prime cards. Score today FICO 786 Tu08.
Message 27 of 28
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Closed the Sears MC and Best Buy cards today. 0 balances, and my Sears had a credit of 20 bucks, which I'll be receiving in check form.

Feels good. Now to lower the Util, I'll be paying off my Amex delta and Discover balances completely today, reducing my freedom and Citi balances to 200/1100 and 200/800, CSP to 700/5000, Flexperks to 700/5000, Barclay to 1100/3100. WF will remain at 0 as well.
Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.