Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Account

tag
lamkev
Established Member

Closing Account

I have a Capital One card that refuses to give me a CLI. I have asked 2 years ago for a CLI and last night for a CLI. Both times it was denied. Should I close it? it is also my oldest reporting acccont. Will it hurt my score? Below is a list of my cards and my score.

Thank you anyone in advance for the advice!

TU - 691/EX - 695

Capital one Rewards - 6 Years 1 Month $500 CLI Request Denied Last night <---- Want to close

Comenity Victoria Secret - 4 Years  - $500 <---- Want to close

Barclay Rewards - 4 Years  - Auto CLI from $1000 to $2500 in December 2017

Chase Freedom - 4 Years 1 Month - $3500

Amex Blue Everyday Cash - New - $5000

Amex Blue Everyday Cash - 4 Years 1 Month $6000 Authorized user DW's Card

Discover IT - New - $7000

Chase Sapphire - 4 Years - $8000

Credit Utilization is around 23%

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing Account

Yes, close that Cap One, that's an old subprime card the will likely never CLI. If you want a Cap One CC, with those scores & other cards you would probably be approved for Quicksilver with much higher CL.

And yes, that 4 year of Victoria's Secret w/$500 CL isn't doing any favors, I'd close it.

Message 2 of 10
lamkev
Established Member

Thanks for the response! Do you know if it will hurt my score any if I close the CapOne? It is my oldest reporting line of credit.

Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Looks like that card has been bracketed to when your credit was not so good. You look to be getting better cards and limits. With Cap One i understand you can app another and then eventually combine. Closing it will only affect you if it hurts your utilization. Itll stay on your reports up towards 10 years or so. Age old question to close or sd . All depends if you feel ok to just close and move on or just let it sulk in the corner. Good luck on your decision.
Message 4 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@lamkev wrote:

Thanks for the response! Do you know if it will hurt my score any if I close the CapOne? It is my oldest reporting line of credit.

Oh yeah, forgot that part. Smiley LOL No, won't hurt your score - closed accounts stay on your credit report for 10 years and count the same as open accounts for your length of credit/average age of accounts. Might bump yout utilization up a tiny bit, but not significantly with those other CLs.

Yes, if you opened another Cap One card you can combine accounts and move the CL to the new one & close the old one, but I'm not sure a $500 CL is worth it.

Message 5 of 10
lamkev
Established Member

That is what I was looking for! I don't think I will put this in the sd. I think I will just cancel it!

Thanks!

Message 6 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Capital One is a strange egg they seem to love not-quite-prime card holders and tend to give large starting limits to those with somewhat limited credit accounts when you hit the 720'ish range, but they tend to disrespect prime cardholders meaning 760-780 to 800+. My guess is when one gets to truly prime scores those folks do not expect or accept 20+ APR rates. Note I know there are exceptions....

In my case I've canceled ALL Cap-1 branded cards I've had as high APR, lower credit limits - I think the highest I ever got was $6k on one, most were in the $3k area and in my case/profile I have a few cards under $10k (credit limits) most are over $15k many are over $20k - Cap-1 doesn't care.

What is strange is that Cap-1 backs my Cabella card ($18k) and GM card ($13.5k) - no issues there, but branded Capital One cards? No thank you I closed them all.

As far as the original post, if you have better cards you have no need for Cap-1 in my opinion and experience. 

Message 7 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

OP,  if you close Capital One, make sure you hang onto one (or preferably both) of your four-year-old cards to avoid a massive drop in AoOA (age of oldest account) down the road.

Message 8 of 10
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

if you get your % down to 1-3 and target all your spend on the card it will increase.  if not, well you know the answer.  some people put down cap1 but they are nearly as stable as a solid cu card imo.  if there is no af then i cannot see the point of closing it.  you seem to like $ so you could ask yourself the same ? re the chase, why have a $8K card that is geared for pts?  the name of the game in cards is getting the return that makes sense in your world.  shoot for less cards with huge limits.  imo.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was having the dilemma earlier this month. My situation with Capital One is I became a customer by default meaning they bought an old debt from another issuer that went way past collections. The agreement was along the lines of: if you rehab the debt you get a card with a $500 limit. An offer like that was compelling enough to getting back on track with payments. This brought about 2 additional Capital One Cards. I had one with a $500 limit in 1999, another with a $1500 limit in 2000 and the third with a $500 limit in 2002. All of them were acquired through rehabbing a Household Bank account and two other subprime lenders I can’t recall. At any rate the interest rate was absurd, One had a monthly fee of $6.95 and the other two had annual fees around $60. 

Somewhere over the years the $1500 limit Card was changed to a Platinum by them, and still had the monthly fee. The other two were changed to Qucksilver One and Quicksilver. They lost the annual fee and the limits were $3000 and $5000 respectively. The Platinum became $7000. Currently I have closed the never growing $3000 Quicksilver One and moved the CL to the Quicksilver and PC the Platinum to a Venture One. 

I just became engaged with my credit profile in 2015. I regret I was not prior, but I didn’t want to deal with the mess I created. Having stated all that I hate I paid an absurd amount of money in APR and fees that did nothing but maintain an account. I rarely use either Cap cards. I’ve tried asking for increases over the years and if I got anything it would be a marginal amount. 

As the new year began I was thinking about trimming the open accounts. Cap One was on the list. However the Savor Card was interesting enough that I called to see if I could PC the Venture. No go. Was told the Savor was too new to PC and I would have to apply. Well silly me did that and was denied. So my data points: scores range low to high 780s. 1% utilization, credit lines in the low $200k. Cards I have Citi Prestige, Citi AA Executive, US Bank Altitude, Chase Ritz, IHG, and CSP. American Express Platinum and Delta Reserve. Other cards such as Macy’s since 1991 JCrew since 1996, Express since 1995, TJX Rewards MC Best Buy Visa sig. Income 100k plus. Average Age is well established. 

Thanks for allowing me to vent. Not a Cap One fan and a firm believer that because these accounts were derived from a low score profile they will never grow. Because they have no annual fee I just keep them in a drawer. I may spend $25 on each per year. 

My vote is sock drawer it and move towards better cards. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.