cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Accounts

Frequent Contributor

Closing Accounts

Which one has a negetive impact, the account holder closing an account or the account grantor closing the account?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: Closing Accounts

WhiteCollar wrote:

Which one has a negetive impact, the account holder closing an account or the account grantor closing the account?

I have been told that it looks better if its the account holder that is closing the account however, A closed account is still a closed account. The grantor can close an account for many different reasons and other creditors know this.  I had an account closed on me simply because the store I got the card through quit using that bank and quit offering that card. That account was closed by the credit grantor nothing I could do about it and nothing I did wrong either.   So I think a closed account just looks like a closed account but again I am not for sure its just an opinion.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Closing Accounts

As long as the account is closed in good standing there should be no negative impact regardless of who closes the account. A closed account will continue to contribute positively to your length of credit history for 10 years before it falls off your reports.

Message 3 of 3