Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Amex Green Card - Data Point

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Closing Amex Green Card - Data Point

@Sharingan wrote:
I don't think it should be discontinued. I think they should give the Green card a slight reward structure (2x MR for travel and restaurants?) and perhaps a $40-50 reimbursement for travel incidentals. The card occasionally has a 25k (I believe) sign up bonus every so often, so perhaps AmEx should make it a permanent public offer. As for the regular Gold (not PRG), I don't really know what purpose that is serving.

Personally, I am so glad to have an unrestricted AmEx Zync card with a high exposure limit because I enjoy having a charge card, but not enough to justify the Green's AF.

+1

Actually, I would think the Zync would be perfect for many people who are interested in a NPSL card with little to no rewards, but much like Capital One Amex seems only interested in pushing rewards cards these days. Actually, if a no-MR "senior" card was still available that would have been (nearly) perfect, but unfortunately it's not.  Smiley Frustrated

I mention Cap One since up to around a year ago, I was pre-qualified for a no-frills 'Platinum' MasterCard with a low-APR (several points lower than Venture and QS).  Now that card is only offered at a high APR to builder/rebuilder folks.  I assume it's at least partially due to the higher swipe fee rewards cards get, at least in the case of Capital One.  Since generally Amex fees are already (generally) higher for merchants, I'm not sure what their reasoning is... we can only speculate.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing!
Message 12 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Mattopotamus wrote:

The green card really needs to be phased out.  Now that they have actual credit cards, many without an annual fee, I cannot see the point of the green card or the gold card for that matter.  The Gold preferred and platinum have a place, but the former seem useless. 

Corporations are all over the Green Card for their employees to use for travel expenses, because the expense records route into the corporate travel cost management portals that are necessary to track business expenses for both accounting and oversight.

Green card not going away Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

While I agree that the green card needs to either be phase out or beefed up, I also agree it's probably not going anywhere.

At $195 (for new cardholders) the prg trumps the green card in every way. After that $100 airline credit, you're basically at 95$ and the rewards structure is so much better.

Sometimes the green card gets a decent sign up offer, but other than that, totally useless.
Message 14 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jsucool76 wrote:
While I agree that the green card needs to either be phase out or beefed up, I also agree it's probably not going anywhere.

At $195 (for new cardholders) the prg trumps the green card in every way. After that $100 airline credit, you're basically at 95$ and the rewards structure is so much better.

Sometimes the green card gets a decent sign up offer, but other than that, totally useless.

+1

I agree completely; in my own case, I would like to get an AU card for a family member, but there's an additional fee for the Green card but no additional fee for the PRG, so the PRG actually comes out cheaper (again, after you figure the airline credit).

I didn't know any better when I got it, but thankfully I've since been able to 'cure' that problem... LOL.  Also thanks to the folks on here, I had the good sense not to PC the Green to a PRG, but to simply apply for it at a later time, since I would have given up the 1st year AF being waived and the new account bonus (I didn't get one for the Green).

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.