cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Amex Green That Has Not reported Yet

tag
Creasy

Closing Amex Green That Has Not reported Yet

Hello everyone, I have a small issue I'd like to pick your brains about. I have an Amex Green card which got a few months ago and have used about 2-3 times (Paid on time). The card account has not yet shown up on any of the 3 credit bureaus reports. The issue is that when I applied for the card I actually did not know it was a charge card (trying to get my scores up). I actually was under the impression it was a regular revolving credit card that would report to all 3 bureus on a regular basis. My question is how would me closing this account (which is fairly new) affect my credit report? I mean the account does not appear on my reports so I'd assume it would have no effect correct? I'd like to get a revolver thru Amex instead.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Closing Amex Green That Has Not reported Yet

@Creasy wrote:

Hello everyone, I have a small issue I'd like to pick your brains about. I have an Amex Green card which got a few months ago and have used about 2-3 times (Paid on time). The card account has not yet shown up on any of the 3 credit bureaus reports. The issue is that when I applied for the card I actually did not know it was a charge card (trying to get my scores up). I actually was under the impression it was a regular revolving credit card that would report to all 3 bureus on a regular basis. My question is how would me closing this account (which is fairly new) affect my credit report? I mean the account does not appear on my reports so I'd assume it would have no effect correct? I'd like to get a revolver thru Amex instead.  

All the damage other than it reporting is done but rest assured it will probably report to all 3 CB's the next statement 

Amex can be slow in reporting sometimes

It's your call to keep open or close as it will still report up to 10 years 

But AAoA will still be affected when it reports 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Creasy wrote:

I mean the account does not appear on my reports so I'd assume it would have no effect correct? 

It willl and any damage has already been done (just delayed in reporting) by applying for the card.  You've already taken the HP and it will factor into your AAoA.  If relevant, backdating may mitigate or even help AAoA.

@Creasy wrote:

I actually was under the impression it was a regular revolving credit card

FYI you can filter cards by type on the AmEx site.  You can choose the option to show only credit cards.

Message 3 of 4
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

May as well leave it open and let it report for 12 mo, then close it (Like I close mine each year when the AF is due) and then app new ones NEXT jan for MORE maximum back dating, like me Smiley Happy

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.