Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Amex PRG

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Closing Amex PRG

I'm posting this because I got inaccurate advice on this very issue in the past and wanted to make sure people understand the process in case they need to deal with it in the future.

I called in to Amex and closed out my PRG. They didn't make a retention offer and I didn't bother asking because based on my research there was no offer that I have seen them make that was going to be high enough to make the card worthwhile to me. My situation is the statement just cut and I have a balance due next month. The AF also posted in this most recent statement. I was advised by the CSR that you do NOT have to pay the balance off before closing the card. Also, she said she would credit back the AF so it does not appear that I will have to pay it first to get the credit back. My membership reward points are safely tucked away with my amex everyday account, so I do not lose them. Finally, as was mentioned in prior threads the cancelled account stays on your profile so you can pay through the website even though its been closed out. It was a painless experience and had I known before that I could close the card with a balance I would have closed it prior to the AF posting to begin with. So my dealings with amex in the past two days have been very simple and they were able to answer every question I have. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing Amex PRG

i will close my Green by September, and get the platinum and maybe the everyday.

Message 2 of 17
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I'm posting this because I got inaccurate advice on this very issue in the past and wanted to make sure people understand the process in case they need to deal with it in the future.

I called in to Amex and closed out my PRG. They didn't make a retention offer and I didn't bother asking because based on my research there was no offer that I have seen them make that was going to be high enough to make the card worthwhile to me. My situation is the statement just cut and I have a balance due next month. The AF also posted in this most recent statement. I was advised by the CSR that you do NOT have to pay the balance off before closing the card. Also, she said she would credit back the AF so it does not appear that I will have to pay it first to get the credit back. My membership reward points are safely tucked away with my amex everyday account, so I do not lose them. Finally, as was mentioned in prior threads the cancelled account stays on your profile so you can pay through the website even though its been closed out. It was a painless experience and had I known before that I could close the card with a balance I would have closed it prior to the AF posting to begin with. So my dealings with amex in the past two days have been very simple and they were able to answer every question I have. 

Good to know, thanks! Too bad no rediculous rentention bonus though Smiley Wink

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 17
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I called to close my PRG a couple of months ago and was offered 35k MR points to keep it open, which I took. Even at just a 1c/point statement credit it more than covered the AF.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 4 of 17
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Well after some long hard thought over PRG I finally cancelled tonight.  A retention bonus 30K or more could have changed my mind but oh well.  I'll miss my PRG but it's time to move on.  Ready for something new.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditJim wrote:

I called to close my PRG a couple of months ago and was offered 35k MR points to keep it open, which I took. Even at just a 1c/point statement credit it more than covered the AF.

I'd have taken this offer too, Lol. More BA Avios.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Retention bonus ? hummm 

Message 7 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

What kind of spend did you have on the card for the year? Did they require any spend to get the bonus?

;
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

nicely done!

Message 9 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

When I looked into it I never saw anyone who claimed to be offered more than 25k bonus for renewal and the people who got that offer had some serious spend, including 200k+ a year on the card. My spend was much lower on this card, so I think the best I could possibly hope for was 15k and that was not going to be enough. 

;
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.