Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Amex vs product change

tag
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Closing Amex vs product change

Currently I have the Amex Delta gold and I just have no use for it. I rarely check a bag, and I normally pay for the economy+ or first class so it comes with priority boarding.

As I understand it, I can only PC to another travel card, which I don't need. Would it be worth it to just open a new amex account, and close delta?

Thanks

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Closing Amex vs product change

Open move the limit then close is an option

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@myjourney wrote:

Open move the limit then close is an option

+1

They've recently tightened up on how they let cards be PC'd... at one time you could PC the Delta Gold to a no-AF Hilton, but that is said to be no longer an option.

This thread has more details:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Any-success-in-PCing-an-AmEx-SPG-to-another-AmEx-card/m...

Message 3 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

Would it be worth it to just open a new amex account, and close delta?

Your call to make.  Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic.  You can't determine if anything is worth it to you just by polling others.

If you want our feedback then you'd need to provide a lot more information on what you're looking for from a new card.  Don't just select a creditor and then try to justify a card from that creditor.  Use your needs/wants to find specific products that suit you.  Consider that opening a new account will drop your AAoA, incur a hard pull and that you will have a new account on your reports which also has an impact.  Don't just open a card because you're closing a card.

Message 4 of 7
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

Currently I have the Amex Delta gold and I just have no use for it. I rarely check a bag, and I normally pay for the economy+ or first class so it comes with priority boarding.

As I understand it, I can only PC to another travel card, which I don't need. Would it be worth it to just open a new amex account, and close delta?

Thanks

I have this card too and I'm beginning to realize it's no use to me either. I will def move the measly $1k limit and close it at year 1. Good Luck!

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 7
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@drsmith wrote:

Would it be worth it to just open a new amex account, and close delta?

Your call to make.  Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic.  You can't determine if anything is worth it to you just by polling others.

If you want our feedback then you'd need to provide a lot more information on what you're looking for from a new card.  Don't just select a creditor and then try to justify a card from that creditor.  Use your needs/wants to find specific products that suit you.  Consider that opening a new account will drop your AAoA, incur a hard pull and that you will have a new account on your reports which also has an impact.  Don't just open a card because you're closing a card.

I wasn't aware Amex had stopped backdating.

Last time I was active here that was one of the biggest perks of having an Amex

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Over a year ago

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.