Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing CC Accounts

tag
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Closing CC Accounts

I have a bunch of credit cards I don't use anymore.  In fact, 2 lowered my available credit because I didn't use them.  I've decided I want to get rid of the ones that don't get used.  I know my credit report will take a hit, but I'm wondering for how long.  I'm 8 years post BK and at the 10 year mark I'm hoping to get an Amex.  I tried again recently and got declined so I'm going to wait.  I plan on keeping my BofA cash rewards Visa, Barclaycard cash rewards MC, Discover it, Capital One Platinum Visa, Target and Lowes.  I'll probably keep my Ashley Furniture and Best Buy for their 0% financing when/if I need it.  I'm considering closing my Shell gas, Furniture Row card and my Barclaycard Visa for Apple.  I definitely want to close Macy's, Walmart, Home Depot and Gap.  I won't need to apply for any sort of credit anytime soon (at least I hope not) so to me it seems like a good time to dump what I don't use. 

Is there any reason I should keep my Shell gas card?  I only use it every couple/few months to keep them from lowering my credit line like they did to my husband.  Otherwise, I'd likely never use it because gas is cheaper at other nearby gas stations.  I do plan on getting a new Mac in the next 6-12 months, but unless I can get 0% financing for it, I'll just use a rewards card and pay it off instead. 

Any tips or advice? 

My plan is to rid myself of these cards and then plop myself in the garden for a good long time.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing CC Accounts

@fuzzybean wrote:

I have a bunch of credit cards I don't use anymore.  In fact, 2 lowered my available credit because I didn't use them.  I've decided I want to get rid of the ones that don't get used.  I know my credit report will take a hit, but I'm wondering for how long.  I'm 8 years post BK and at the 10 year mark I'm hoping to get an Amex.  I tried again recently and got declined so I'm going to wait.  I plan on keeping my BofA cash rewards Visa, Barclaycard cash rewards MC, Discover it, Capital One Platinum Visa, Target and Lowes.  I'll probably keep my Ashley Furniture and Best Buy for their 0% financing when/if I need it.  I'm considering closing my Shell gas, Furniture Row card and my Barclaycard Visa for Apple.  I definitely want to close Macy's, Walmart, Home Depot and Gap.  I won't need to apply for any sort of credit anytime soon (at least I hope not) so to me it seems like a good time to dump what I don't use. 

Is there any reason I should keep my Shell gas card?  I only use it every couple/few months to keep them from lowering my credit line like they did to my husband.  Otherwise, I'd likely never use it because gas is cheaper at other nearby gas stations.  I do plan on getting a new Mac in the next 6-12 months, but unless I can get 0% financing for it, I'll just use a rewards card and pay it off instead. 

Any tips or advice? 

My plan is to rid myself of these cards and then plop myself in the garden for a good long time.

The only way this will impact your credit immediately is if it drastically affects your utilization. Otherwise there will be no immediate repercussions from closing any of these cards.  

Barclay's will re-apply the intro APR on the Apple Rewards card anytime you want it. FYI iMacs with Skylake processors are due in the next few months. Look for them at the beginning of the year. 

Say goodbye to Home Depot - Lowes gives better limits. 

Keep the Walmart card. It has a MasterCard upgrade option that makes it more useful.

Close the Shell card. If you're only using it to buy gas every few months then you're clearly using another card you prefer. 

Message 2 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Definitely consolidate and close the unused unnecessary ones. Also, no your score wouldn't take a hit unless the closed cards had significant CLs and would severely impact utilization. They'll continue to report for 10 years.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 17
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

It shouldn't really affect my utilization since I pay everything off each month except for the 0% interest on the new freezer we just bought and the furniture we got after we moved.  I have those planned out so they are paid off 2 months prior to the interest kicking in. 

Thank you for the tip on the Barclaycard for Apple Visa.  I didn't know that 

You are correct on the gas.  I use the BofA rewards for that and switch to Discover it when they have their 5% back.

Walmart and Gap recently dropped my available credit to about 1/5th of what I had.  HD stinks.  I can't get them to give me a CLI and I've had it for 18 months.  It's still at $500.  I have 10k on Lowes.

Message 4 of 17
BrianKill
Valued Member

Also, Barclay will comine limits, so if you decide to close one of their cards, be sure to move its limit to the one you are keeping.

Message 5 of 17
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Good to know.  Thank you.

Message 6 of 17
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Macy's, Shell, Gap and Home Depot are closed.  That feels good.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fuzzybean wrote:

Any tips or advice? 

The only thing I would be mindful of are the opening dates for the cards you want to close. Are any of them your oldest credit line? It won't have an impact on your AAoA now, but in 10 years it could if all the accounts you leave open are very new. It's just food for thought.

Also, did you include any Citibank credit cards in your BK 8 years ago? If yes, that may have something to do with why they won't increase your Home Depot CL. It's issued my Citibank.

Message 8 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@fuzzybean wrote:

Macy's, Shell, Gap and Home Depot are closed.  That feels good.

Congratulations, should be minimal impact from those closures.

I would suggest sitting still for several months now, even though you had a longer list of cards to close. Yes, you may still decide to close them, but it'll be for good reasons that you think through. Generally with cards with no AF, there is no rush to close them, so best to take your time. And sometimes best to not close them at all, let them sit, and maybe the lender will close them, or not and they keep reporting even longer.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 17
bk510
Valued Contributor

@fuzzybean wrote:

It shouldn't really affect my utilization since I pay everything off each month except for the 0% interest on the new freezer we just bought and the furniture we got after we moved.  I have those planned out so they are paid off 2 months prior to the interest kicking in. 

Thank you for the tip on the Barclaycard for Apple Visa.  I didn't know that 

You are correct on the gas.  I use the BofA rewards for that and switch to Discover it when they have their 5% back.

Walmart and Gap recently dropped my available credit to about 1/5th of what I had.  HD stinks.  I can't get them to give me a CLI and I've had it for 18 months.  It's still at $500.  I have 10k on Lowes.

I haven't had a sniff on my wally and amazon in 2 1/2 yrs. They just don't like me.

I'm thinking its because of my BK reporting.....Not that I actually need a CLI from them for an obvious reasons.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.