Closing CC or not to closing??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing CC or not to closing??

goodday all,

i have about 8 or so CC 2 with bals. but the others i don't really use at all,
some are mastercard and visa.

my question is is it bettter to close the acct or leave them open with zero bals..

and would it affect my score if i do close them      .TIA

thank you
all for your replies

mike.,!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Closing CC or not to closing??

It might hurt your scores to close them, since you have balances on two of your cards. This is because the credit limits on closed cards are no longer available in calculating your util, so it will go up. For instance, maybe you have $1,000 total balance on $10,000 total credit limit, so you have 10% util. You close 6 cards with a total of $5,000 CL, and suddenly you only have a total of $5,000 CL, and now your util is 20%. If it goes up enough, it might trigger a score change.

Good targets for closing: cards with annual fees; cards that you don't use much, but when you do, their CS is a nightmare; if you're just so freaked by knowing that they're there that they're damaging your peace of mind.

Check out fused's thread called Closing Credit Cards. It's on his siggy --just find any of his posts, and you'll see it down at the bottom.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

mtfam5 wrote:
goodday all,

i have about 8 or so CC 2 with bals. but the others i don't really use at all,
some are mastercard and visa.

my question is is it bettter to close the acct or leave them open with zero bals..

and would it affect my score if i do close them      .TIA

thank you
all for your replies

mike.,!

Exactly how many are you thinking of closing? What are the credit limits on all cards and the balances on the two cards?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have 8 cards.

1 with a 1500 limit  and the bals is 1000

1 with 1900 limit (hight % rate) and the bals is about a 1000

otheres then that the rest are all about the 1000 to 2000 limits with zero bals for about 1 year or so.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am only looking to close 2 the two that charge yearly fees

Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't close anything until the balances are reporting $0, otherwise your scores will likely take a nasty hit. Please read the link in my siggy, closing credit cards.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.