Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing CC question.

tag
lonno925
Established Member

Closing CC question.

Ok so I was curious if closing a credit card that you will not be using anymore is a good idea even if there is no yearly fee. I have a 5000 dollar credit card which I will have paid off in 2 months and it will probably never be used again. (Except maybe 2nd or 3rd emergency in succession.) I don't want to close it as it is my oldest card but it gives no rewards and it won't be able to get a CLI as it is a local bank cc and they said they don't do anything over 5000.  Would it be ok if I just put it into a box in my closest and let it sit? What are the chances the bank will close it on me. And how long would you normally have till that happen? Thanks guys. I know  I don't want to close it yet cause of my util. but I am working on paying that down. This is just thinking ahead of the curve hopefully.

AE store-3600 | Local Bank-5000 | BofA Travel-7000 | Discover IT- 8000 |Chase Freedom-3000 | Chase Slate - 1000 | Amex Blue Cash - 2000
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing CC question.

I personally would use it every 6 months since there is no annual fee, but thats just me

Message 2 of 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

I'd keep it for the utilization and as a backup, and make an occasional purchase to keep it open.

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

SD it bring it out once every 6 months and make a small purchase, a 5K card that is your first card is nothing to sneeze at.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.