Did you mean: 

Closing CCs?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Closing CCs?

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I could call about PC my cash rewards. Do you know if it would be a hard pill?

Sorry not 100% sure, but as far as I am aware and to the best of my understanding, most (all?) cc issuers should be open to considering a PC request without a HP.  I have had a dozen or so PCs on my current card collection over the past 4 years or so, and none of them were ever a HP.  ETA:  I do know that there were quite a few forum posters who were able to successfully PC their Cash Rewards cards to Cash+, maybe one of them could hopefully chime in as well?

A PC of Cash Rewards to Cash+ is not a HP.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

Thanks for that info, I had not seen that before.

If my oldest had an AF and I didn't use it I'd probably close it, but if it had no AF I would not close it.  I'll close all other CC's that I don't use anymore, and have closed a few, but not my oldest.

Yeah, the way I see it is that I want super old accounts to counter all the new CC's I get with churning.   If I close them, and they go off in 10 years, my AAOA would be very low due to how many CC's I open per year.  Most of my "churn" cc's get closed.

Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know capital ones newest secured cards have no AF but I got mine back when it did. I will call later and see if I can have the AF waived or removed
Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You. I will be calling this weekend to see if i can PC to a Cash+

@NRB525 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I could call about PC my cash rewards. Do you know if it would be a hard pill?

Sorry not 100% sure, but as far as I am aware and to the best of my understanding, most (all?) cc issuers should be open to considering a PC request without a HP.  I have had a dozen or so PCs on my current card collection over the past 4 years or so, and none of them were ever a HP.  ETA:  I do know that there were quite a few forum posters who were able to successfully PC their Cash Rewards cards to Cash+, maybe one of them could hopefully chime in as well?

A PC of Cash Rewards to Cash+ is not a HP.

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there anyway for me close the Capital One Secured card and somehow transfer the credit history to another cc w/ them? Would I be able to get a Capital One cc without a hard just by having the secured card so long with them or maybe a sp?

Message 25 of 31
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

No. That cannot be done,
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 26 of 31
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

We don't know the ages of your accounts. That makes it difficult to know how relevant account ages might be to your decision. My guess is that if your credit history is five years old, account ages probably aren't very relevant. As others have said, closed accounts are likely to remain on your reports for a long time, and by the time they drop, your AAoA and AoOA should still be fine.

But if there's a big gap between card ages, you might not like the hit, whether it's now or far into the future. As an example, I have three cards that are approximately fifteen years older than my other cards. I don't want to lose those at any point.

Having said that, if you can't unsecure the Captial One card and lose the fee, you're going to want to close it. Getting rid of that card is more important than a potential small ding on your score. My inclination would be to also go ahead and close the other cards you mention unless we were provided with new information that would cause me to think otherwise.

Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

My capital one is my oldest just short of 5 years with my cash rewards just about to enter 4 years in november. The rest of my cards are around 1.5-3 years old Smiley Happy
Message 28 of 31
digitek
Established Contributor

If I'm clear on this, that your oldest is 5 years old and has an AF and no reason to keep, and that your next oldest is 4 years old and a pretty good card from a big name bank, then I would close out your oldest with an AF.

Message 29 of 31
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

I don't know if it's possible with a secured card, but I'd check and see if it doesn't qualify for an upgrade with the link below provided by MyLoFICO. Good luck on whatever you decide.

https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.