Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing CCs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing CCs?

My first ever cc was the Capital One Securred card I got when I was 21. They gave me 200$ with a 49$ deposit and it’s been moved up to 500$ within the first year of opening it. I am now 26 years old and that secured card is my oldest credit line.

Should I close it? I don’t use it except for my Apple Music subscription. But other than that I don’t even have the physical card anymore. Since then I have brought my credit score to around 755-765.

Should I cancel my Kohl’s, AE(American eagle), and slate cards along with my secured just to get rid of some cards? I never use any of them. Right now I’m around 2,800$ in cc debt on a 0% promo on the cash + so I’m around 15-16% of credit utilization I believe maybe less

Thank you in advance for replies. Using my iPhone so might have misspelling
My credit cards I have so far are in rank of age

Capital One secured 500$
Kohls 300$
US Bank Cash Rewards 6,000$
American Eagle 400$
Chase Slate 500$
Chase Freedom 4,500$
Amex Everyday 9,000$
Discover IT 3,400$
US Bank Cash Plus 5,000$
US Bank 365 5,000$
US Bank Platinum 16,400$
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing CCs?

If no annual fee, i'd keep them as it helps your history and average age of accounts.  If you have an AF, I'd look into upgrading the card into something without one.  Also might want to request a credit limit increase.  Any cards you don't use, make sure you have alerts set up for when a charge is made to protect against fraud.

Message 2 of 31
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You're not going to change your utilization by much, so there are no worries there.

What are the ages of your accounts? Will your AoOA (age of oldest account) and AAoA (average age of accounts) eventually be dropping by much? If not, go ahead and close. You might want to close Capital One anyway if it hasn't unsecured.

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

IT's not just AAOA, its also how old your oldest account is, which is a factor.  Keeping open your oldest account is a good idea if you can without an AF.  I still have my credit line from when I was 21, and its a factor on my scores still to this day.

Message 4 of 31
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I would go ahead and close all four of them and focus your energies on the cards with larger credit limits.  Also, you have four US Bank cards.  That's too many from one bank.  See if you can combine them so that you're left with only two US Bank Cards.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 31
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I would close it.
First of all, the people that are saying keep it open for average age of accounts are incorrect. The card even if you close it today, will continue to report it's positive history for the next 10 years. It won't have any effect on the age overall.

Second, with the credit limit, it's virtually useless this point anyway.
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

The secured card does have an annual fee of 30$
Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

About the4 from usbank I have to call and reallocate to combine but they wont do it
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried to call in the past but they won’t reallocate the credit. Sorry for the typos
Message 9 of 31
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Just curious if you have considered asking US Bank to PC your Cash Rewards card to another Cash+?

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.