Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Cap 1 Secured

tag
dsw283
New Contributor

Closing Cap 1 Secured

So I opened this account with them last year in september.  So far I've been approved for Chase Freedom, AMEX BCE, WF, Wal-mart, Cap 1 Quicksilver, Target and VS.  I will probably never use this account again, but I have a year of good credit with it.  It is a $29 yearly fee, but I will also lose a year of my AAoA.  I'm not planning on applying for any new cards anytime soon as I'm going into the garden but what do you think?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Rikku
Regular Contributor

Re: Closing Cap 1 Secured

It sounds like it has served its purpose and you're ready to move on. You won't lose a year on your AAoA because closed accounts also count towards it and positive closed accounts can stay on your CR for ten years.

Message 2 of 5
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

I would try to contact EO to see if they can remove the AF and keep it open as it will help with utility. Or have them "graduate," the card as well and make it an unsecured one.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 3 of 5
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

Or you could also check to see if you can upgrade it to a better card like the Quicksilver.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 4 of 5
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@dsw283 wrote:

So I opened this account with them last year in september.  So far I've been approved for Chase Freedom, AMEX BCE, WF, Wal-mart, Cap 1 Quicksilver, Target and VS.  I will probably never use this account again, but I have a year of good credit with it.  It is a $29 yearly fee, but I will also lose a year of my AAoA.  I'm not planning on applying for any new cards anytime soon as I'm going into the garden but what do you think?

Read this then reevaluate

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

I would close it when the AF came if the EO won't waive it. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.